Bug or only idiotic gunners?

Originally posted by Scipio:

Good points, BUT - concerning the 76mm AT - I guess after one or two or maybe three unsuccessfull attempts to take out a tank with normal AP it's really time to try a tungsten-shell.

I can sympathize with that, though my experience is the TacAI is all too willing to expend its tungsten, sometimes to my regret! You should realize also at that range the tungsten will easily penetrate the turret but probably not the sloped glacis.

I setup a quick test in the editor, 76mm AT w/5T vs a Panther, range 450m. I ran it 10 times, in each case the AT gun fired an AP shell first followed by tungsten, never varied so I don't see a problem at all with tungsten. Perhaps there were other variables you weren't aware of in your example?

I have seen the same as you with HC however. I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what conditions must apply before they fire it, seeming to prefer HE in all the cases I have seen in play. smile.gif

Does'nt explain not using the Tungsten rounds after firing AP , but was wondering; Do the tanks in CM have a round up? I'm wondering if on the occasion they have HE up, they might be firing it instead of unloading it manually.

Oh, Mr. Bates sorry I rushed into this thought.

The horror, the horror.

The way the AI decides to use tungsten is rather quirky. It works right most of the time, but sometimes it leaves you shaking your head. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It does work much better than it used to, though that isn't saying a lot considering that it used to not work at all.

And I wouldn't take too seriously the opinions of people who rarely play anything but Germans. That's like Michael Jordan talking about football.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

The way the AI decides to use tungsten is rather quirky. It works right most of the time, but sometimes it leaves you shaking your head. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It does work much better than it used to, though that isn't saying a lot considering that it used to not work at all.

And I wouldn't take too seriously the opinions of people who rarely play anything but Germans. That's like Michael Jordan talking about football.

Okay, I made some tests, and yes, it seems to be 'Idiotic Gunners'. Not always, but sometimes it happens. Well...if I look around how some people act in the real life, it can be seen as realistic that we must have idiotic gunners, too.

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Scipiobase

Join the Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club

That was funny WWB! Tanks, shmanks, I want to get back to Pamela Anderson! I qualify on all but the tattoo part Kingfish. Unfortunately, I've seen the movie and have gathered that it takes 2540mm's to penetrate her... frown.gif

Ok, Ok, sorry, you can get back to your tank penetration discussion...

------------------

All CM All the time!

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

Originally posted by Tiger:

I wouldn't take people who play all-allied most of the time too seriously either smile.gif

Slander!! smile.gif

I play Germans only a little less often than Allies. 60/40 maybe. Playing the same side all the time = YAWN.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

yeah we know you're really an all-allied player just trying to fool us. If you guys got your way you'd have tank-penetrating tungsten bullets in your infantry rifles and tungsten artillery shells, tungsten-laced smoke rounds, and tungsten bayonets you could stick into the tanks. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

-Tiger

I wouldn't take people who think Sherman 105s fired tungsten ammo too seriously either. Especially when they don't make a distinction between tungsten and HEAT and go off half cocked "BTS there is no bug, please don't fix or somefink"...hehe..chortle...

Sherman 105s shouldn't be getting any tungsten until very late (if at all), as the initial meager tungsten production was alloted to the TD units, not inf support tanks.

------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"