New Desert Campaign Screenshot!

Golly, thats candy for the eyes right there!

Tell me, how in the world did you two create those (rock formations?) I see in the background? Also, what texture is replaced by the sand, and what effect does it have on movement?

Keep up the good work, I think this will be the first ever CM Total Conversion, of a sort!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Commissar,

The sand tiles simply replace open ground. Their effect on movement will, like before, depend upon the ground moisture settings used by a particular scenario's designer.

Keep in mind, we can change nothing hard-coded (and wouldn't even try). i.e., when located in palms ar scattered palms, the interface display wil still read "located in: forest (or scattered trees)."

If you want to hamper off-road vehicular movement, ground conditions would just be set to damp, wet, or what have you. This would give the desired effects of occasional bogs and immobility, alas the interface will still reflect the fact that the ground is "damp".

I think most will find these discrepancies easy to ignore, though. MikeT and I hope so, anyway. smile.gif

Clubfoot.

Pvt Ryan, the question of buildings is a good one. I am not totally sure that adobe was used there. I am looking around the net for pictures of the desert.

There is a second problem. I really don't have the resources nor the talent to do buildings that would look good. The terrain was simple and many of the vehicles mod almost did themselves.

But a building is different. Given that the community is used to the quality of Magua and others I cannot match them.

MikeT

What do the rocks replace? Scattered trees?

Looks great.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Clubfoot, I did find some B&W pics of the period and it seems that white roofs were common.

Yes sir, the boulders which were intended to be placed beneath cliffs were once trees. I felt that it was appropriate. Infantry could move and hide there but vehicles would be prohibited. Pine trees are replaced with Palm or even by Olive trees as needed.

The terrain is something that has undergone a real transformation recently. I am working on the concept that the released mod manager allows to actually select terrain and terrain types for specific scenarios.

Basically I envision this to happen. The gamer starts CMBO. Selects a mission, could be European or Desert. If desert the readme section would not only brief you about the battle but ALSO about the types of mods to load for that specific battle. Then you ESC out and run the mod manager. After than you reenter the game and fight out your battle. This would allow you to actually load say the Italians for a battle which would replace the German forces. Of course it also means that you cannot have Germans AND Italians fight in the same battle. The solution isn't perfect by any means but it does have certain advantages in streamlining the mods. This also means that people could easily and comfortable add new/replacement desert BMPs or wavs as the expert mod gurus do their magic.

IF the CM community is comfortable with this appraoch then this opens up many ideas I have for the future. A Pacific theater is in the initial planning stages and relies heavily on this mod manager concept.

Now the next step. What do you think and do you see serious holes in my planning? I really hope not :)

MikeT

CM3 4 3?

Looks good, I think that some large maps would be ideally suited to the desert settings.

It's a good idea to have this mod because a lot of the major elements already exist, perhaps only the Italians and their tanks are missing.

Manx, you should organise a desert tournament to tie in with the release of this mod.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

CM3 4 3?

Looks good, I think that some large maps would be ideally suited to the desert settings.

It's a good idea to have this mod because a lot of the major elements already exist, perhaps only the Italians and their tanks are missing.

Manx, you should organise a desert tournament to tie in with the release of this mod.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me just clear something up. I have had absolutely no involvement with the development of the desert conversion other than to help spread the word about it via the COMBAT MISSIONS website. The guy's who you should direct any feedback/suggestions to are Clubfoot, MikeT + others.

Cheers.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

Just one point to those involved, where the desert campaign primarily concentrated on '41 to early '44 this presumably means we are going to have to use the same units we get for Overlord. I can't see how this will feel authentic, even though the screenshots look stunning.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the double post - bloody Netscape.

Beautiful screenshots, but as someone who's spent a fair amount of time puttering around the Western Desert I think they might be a little bit too beautiful for coastal North Africa, which are largely unattractive gravel plains. You don't see too much of that lovely drifting sand, although it's certainly there in some parts. You do get some spectacular rock outcroppings, normally with a whole bunch of sand piled up around the base. Other things you might find are escarpments, wadis, olive groves (particularly in Tunisia -- probably scattered trees), and prickly pear hedgerows. Buildings I think would probably be white-washed mud or occasionally rock, sometimes domed. I'm supposed to be going to Siwa oasis in a week or two, and I could take and post some pictures of the Alamein area and of traditional houses if anyone's interested.

------------------

"I can't listen to music too often... It makes me want to say kind, stupid things, and pat the heads of people... But now you have to beat them on the head, beat them without mercy."

V. I. Lenin

Phil,

The "authenticity" issue has been touched on by Mike T and myself previously. To clear things up, however, I'll give it a whirl again.

There are indeed aspects of the game which we are powerless to change (as I think we'll all agree is NOT a bad thing). Hardcoded text, vehicle specs., particle effects and tracers. These game components are out of our reach and should be (if anyone here was involved with the I'76 community, you'll know what I mean)or your PBEM games would soon fill with sinister, chuckling preteens crashing about in hacked, supersonic King Tigers with Pratt&Whitney jet turbines and a bow mounted BFG.

To this end, if one is to enjoy Desert Fox-Desert Rats, you'll have to exercise a jot of willful ignorance. Textures will try to approximate a different version of armor or different type of terrain, but the facts the game relates to you will not always exactly correspond to what you see. Palms are still "forest" in your interface window. Vehicle variants will not always be historically accurate. And so on ad nauseum.

However, we did not see this as a good enough reason not to do the mod. I'm sure some people will enjoy it. I'm sure some won't. We will try to make it as accurate as possible, but there will have to be concessions weighing in on the side of "fun".

Nijis: We'd love to see your photos. email them to MikeT or myself.

Clubfoot.

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 01-13-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeT:

Now the next step. What do you think and do you see serious holes in my planning? I really hope not :)

MikeT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I was just thinking a separate install of CM would work just fine. I was thinking have my normal install. Then install again into another directory for strict use of the Desert Rats. Of course, this would present a problem for the Italians/Germans bit, but I never had a problem with manual mod swapping. Or I (or Marco) could write up some batch files to do it automatically.

I was reading this story on this site: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/wsarc05.htm

and I was thinking how Italy could have won the war, really.

In the Desert Mod, we just need to use more artillery and no tanks it seems! wink.gif

------------------

Audace

Ammiraglio di Squadra

1a Squadra Navale

"In Arduis Intrepida"

Regia Marina Italiana

Regia Marina Album in WW2

------------------

Guest AussieJeff

Hey Nijis.....

Great idea.......some REAL desert locational shots showing the right colors and textures would be fantastic.....!!

I think anyone tinkering with desert mods would be more than happy to see your pic posts when you have done the trip wink.gif

Good luck with the camera finger!!!

AussieJeff