Bocage Mod idea with rough example

Hi all

In an earlier thread mention was made that Bocage hedgerows actually consisted of an earthen bank topped by hedges/trees and that the Bocage graphic in CM did not reflect this very well.

I made up a quick (and rough) mod using the basic hedge (bmp 1217) with a pasted on earthen bank (taken from a winter plowed field version of wheat bmp 702)then touched up slightly herewith is a screen shot of this

fetch.dll?action=view_photo&ID_Community=SgtSteinersWargamingSite&ID_Topic=2&ID_Message=32

I think the hedge is DDs but cant recall whose the other mod author was (so many MOds now !)

I put this up to encourage all the excellent terrain 'modders' out there to see if they can do a better job ?

I think the earthen bank would benefit from having grass along the bottom and maybe some tufts/sods of grass dotted across it.

Am afraid such detail proved beyond my capabilities with MS paint.

Oops forgot to mention the earthy bit does of course also show up on the low hedge but looks ok.

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

[This message has been edited by Sgt Steiner (edited 02-22-2001).]

go to http://208.42.140.79/dalem/pics/bay-hr/bay-hr.html for some pictures of bocage I took last fall in Normandy (buddy for scale).

the Pics don't generally work for Netscape users, sorry.

-dale

------------------

I LOST A BLOOD HAMSTER BATTLE TO PETERNZ. MY SIG FILE IS NOW HIS AND I AM HIS SLAVE. PLEASE ABUSE ME AS YOU SEE FIT AND CALL ME A DOO-DOO HEAD. IT IS MY PLACE IN LIFE, I WILLINGLY ACCEPT IT.

Thanks Pawbroon.

For clarification, folks, the earthen banks along the paved road you see down the tunnel are the classic 'hedgerow' variety we've read about - about 6 to 8 feet tall, topped by thick undergrowth and trees. Real trees. The actual field is beyond that high bank at about a 1- to 2- foot depth as compared to the top of the earthen bank.

The little tunnel I was standing in is a real undershorts-filler: very close-quarters, completely overgrown at the top, and follows along the near-side embankment at a shallow angle for quite a distance.

"Ideal Defensive Terrain" doesn't begin to describe it, yikes!

-dale

------------------

I LOST A BLOOD HAMSTER BATTLE TO PETERNZ. MY SIG FILE IS NOW HIS AND I AM HIS SLAVE. PLEASE ABUSE ME AS YOU SEE FIT AND CALL ME A DOO-DOO HEAD. IT IS MY PLACE IN LIFE, I WILLINGLY ACCEPT IT.

Great work Steiner, been thinking the same thing myself for sometime. Thanks fore the pics dalem.

Unfortunately it isn't exactly going to behave how it looks but still it will be a great improvement. As you say some grass texture on the bank would finish it off nicely. I understand the underlying 3D model is pretty boxy so it will be impossible to get that look of having trres in it, pity. You can't get them that close together in the game either, so you lose some of that claustrophobic feeling.

------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"

Guest Napoleon1944

Looks like you need to cut and paste some trees onto that bocage tile.

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Sgt. Steiner...you're a genius! You inspired me to do a bit of my own work. Goes to show what any schmoo with paintshop or photoimpact can do!

Far shot:

View?u=1532709&a=11607024&p=41741670

Middle shot:

View?u=1532709&a=11607024&p=41741667

Close-in shot:

View?u=1532709&a=11607024&p=41741662

All you mod makers out there have inspired me to try my hand and like it or not, I'm having a blast! Thanks for the shove in the right direction.

Hi Gunnergoz

Sgt. Steiner...you're a genius!

Ah recognition at last !

Or do you mean Sgt -dot- Steiner my doppleganger ? that would seem more likely smile.gif

BTW please send me a copy of your Mod (sgtsteiner@sgtsteiner.worldonline.co.uk)

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK