How about a Strategic game that compliments CM

Hello,

The Tactical game in CM is surperb but after endless nights of tactical battles and even operations. How about a game that is strategic in nature that then converts battles into the tactical. So you can fight

over objectives and towns that say effect production. This game could have historical campaigns and random ones.

A friend and me have done something different and made a neat way to fight CM battles. We toke the game Call to Power 2 and

made a random map. We build empire with cities, ecomony,infrustructure,military etc.

When the armies fight we made a point system

to convert battles to CM and a terrian system to convert it to CM system.

So say I go on the attack into his area and start to pillage his mines and farms he sends

out a army to attack. I try to defend on a hill terrian area and fortify so dug in.

Since I dug in a road system between his two cities he has to take me out. Thus we have a battle, we convert Call 2 power points to CM points and fight a battle each buying his stuff. After we disband dead units based on loses in CM etc.

We came up with idea and it turned out it as been a Blast! so far we did at least 25 battles already. Some off the best where over a city was high production and in a very strategic area. Another neat thing happens is there becomes a real reason to defend and attack or withdraw and not commit

all your forces. We even figured out great way to work in planes.

Many the battles are small and they are even funner then the big ones.

The neat thing is Call to Power 2 comes with a map maker editor and some guy even made like 125 ww2 unit symbols. So possbility is to rough it and make say a western front map and make game.

But i not a programmer frown.gif - but think the overall idea is sound. Eventually a strategic

ww2 game that can be played by fighting battles on auto and computer gives results.

OR the option to convert battle CM and you actually fight the battle.

Oh yes. Many miniature campaigns have been run like this for years. I have played WWII, Colonial and Medieval campaigns with these same techniques, however it was all done with pen and paper and very time consuming.

There was a game in development a year or so ago dealing with the Eastern front of WWII using the same techniques you and your friend are. Unfortunately it never made it past development

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I think you'll find the CMMC interesting. Check it out over at Madmatts' site. Sorry - I forget the URL off the top of my head.

Be cool

Jon

------------------

Quo fas et vino de femme

I think the vision of a whole war being resolved on the level individual units involved is a dream of Gary Grigsby. I recall reading this in the "64K question" in Computer Gaming World where a famous designer was asked to describe the game he would develop if he had unlimited processing power.

The thought of a strategic level game where individual battles are resolved using the CM engine excites me. But then I am left with the image of hundreds of CM battles where the contuinity of the strategic game is disrupted over and over again.

Ah, the good old days when CGW was acutally a magazine worth reading. To its credit, it has kept up with the times rather well: nowadays, its appeal is to the masses, the indiscriminating consumer.

In order to help the GMs run CMMC, I am developing a tool called Cocat (Combat Mission Campaign Tool). The current version can be found here: http://www.combatmission.com/CMMC/Vault/cocat/cocat.htm

This has the map for the CPX (a CMMC test-run), but the new CMMC version has a much bigger map, and will be released to the public soon.

I can also tailor-make a version especially for you, if you supply the map! smile.gif

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

My word but that is a remarkable, remarkable bit of work, Hawk. Question: what format are the map files? Can jpgs be imported? Thanks for the program and your reply.

------------------

"Watching others make friends, as a dog makes friends. I mark the manner of these canine courtesies and say, 'Thank God, here comes another enemy'" -- Rostand

Wow, that is really something Hawk. I must be trying to D/L it with the hole CM gaming population at large as it is taking forever, though certainly looks like it is worth the time. How many hours do you estimate you put in developing this tool?

I'll save any other questions unitll I've D/L'd it and can look over the user guide.

Thanks for the feedback! smile.gif

Ok, let's see....

The maps are GIF files in the version at CMMC HQ. In the new version (probably awailable in a few days, check the CMMC HQ) I use JPG. BMP is also possible.

Actually, Cocat is my second version. I first made a tool called Cogat, but learned so much Visual Basic in the process that I decided to scratch it and start over again.

So far, I've probably used 200+ hours (since October last year). I changed the name since CoGAT actually is a registrated trademark.

Is computer WIF with AI? Last time I checked it was meant as a pbem utility without AI, but this could be something completely different, of course.

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!