COMBAT MISSIONS: Unit Tactics - The Churchill

In the next installment of COMBAT MISSIONS look into Unit Tactics in CM, we move on to some British Armour - The Churchill - God, it was ugly!, but appearances can be deceptive. How do you rate it?. Once again, sharing YOUR tactics and battlefield experiences with this vehicle would be extremely valuable.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

What do you mean you need info on the Chuchill? Its the best tank you can get for CQB. After a few tests with it you will see esp if you can get the 90mm version. Should give you a few Hollow charge rds and they can kill anything. Pretty dang cheap 140ish. Those 90mms spell certain doom for any and all Germans with out Heavy AT support, Jabos, or 270mm arty. The only bad thing is its short range and High Trajectory.

Guest Rex_Bellator

My current wallpaper consits of a Churchill Crocodile with 10 Panzer IV kills and 27 infantry kills (from Scotland the Brave Part 1 scenario). Gotta love Churchills.

Just be sure there's no 88mm or equivalent on the field, then wade in and have a nice day smile.gif

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

One of my more thrilling battles was a night fog MEQB, and I bought a Churchill with the 94mm gun. Into the center of town, I encounter a StuH IV, a flamethrowing HT (this taught me the leson of not rushing to the center in MEs) and a Panther.

After several minutes of close range combat (under 50 meters), my Churchill had sustained numerous direct hits, the final one knocking out my gun. The StuH IV was blown up, the Panther was shocked and immobilized (only to die from a Piat hit two turns later), and the flame HT was toasted.

While all those German assets were tied up against this one seemingly impregenable AFV, I was able to consolidate my hold on the center of town, and out flank the guy with my Platoon in Kangaroos.

I can think of no better tank than the 94 mm armed Churchill to take in with my infantry.

It is so very tough, this one took a half dozen Panther 75 hits at less than 100 meters and survived.

The Churchills are nice tanks, but beware that the VI has significantly less armor than the VII and VIII. It's fun to watch Panthers and Tigers back away from an Allied tank they can't kill and they know can kill them. Just keep the Churchill hull down and 700m or more from any Panther and you'll be fine. The 95mm gun on the VIII can kill Panthers, Tigers, JPanzerIV's, and Hetzers. While these tanks can't return the favor. smile.gif The Churchill is a real eye-opener for opponents who regularly rely on Panthers and Hetzers to simply wade through allied Shermans. I've even seen a Churchill shed shots from an 88mm pillbox! The tank was obliqued, of course, but it was a real shocker to watch.

But like Gremlin said, they're very slow beasts. And the VIII's gun is not only slow firing but rather inaccurate. So its small number of hollow core shells can be used up quite quickly. The VIII also carries a relatively small amount of ammo (only 47 shells).

When used in concert with Challengers or Fireflies, they can make for a very good 1-2 punch (though I don't believe that combo is historically accurate). The Churchill acts as the bait for enemy tanks while keeping infantry at bay while the heavy-hitting Fireflies pop up to ambush his armor.

With a pair of well-stocked MGs, a fast turret, a great big gun (atleast on the VIII), the Churchill is an excellent infantry support tank. It can also drop buildings in a hurry. Two 95mm Churchills can take out even the heaviest two-story building in under 2 turns. All in all a very nice tank.

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

Sounds like a used car salesman to me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

She only has a few scratches and dings from the occasional 75mm shell. Not the greatest gas mileage, but she's the ultimate in comfort and safety. Perfect for any family outing!

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfe:

When used in concert with Challengers or Fireflies, they can make for a very good 1-2 punch (though I don't believe that combo is historically accurate). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, during the war the British classified tanks as cruisers (like the Crusader and the Cromwell), which were fast but lightly armoured or infantry support (like the Mathilda and the Churchill), which were slow but heavily armoured. The Sherman and the Honey (Stuart) were used as cruisers. infantry support tanks were used as the armoured element of an infantry division, whilst the armoured divisions used cruisers.

[This message has been edited by Firefly (edited 01-13-2001).]

I've been on the recieving end of those damned Churchills for more times than I like to admit. However, you should be aware of their high ground pressure which results that they are prone to bogging down or immobilisation ( unless your name is Crocky and you re-equipped them with anti-grav-drives ).

Despite these drawbacks the later Churchill variants are the Volvos in the line of CM's allied cars selection.