LOS Distance Test Results

Here is the listing of my tests on LOS distances. All tests were conducted on clear terrain with no intervening obstacles. Results did not vary by unit type or vehicle buttoned status. Ground conditions nor Elevation appear to influence the results.

If anyone wants I have a table that looks a little better in Word format I can email to them.

Weather

Clear(Day) Unlimited

Overcast (Day) Unlimted

Rain (Day) 2000m

Snow (Day) 1002m

Fog (Day) 752m

Thick Fog (Day) 250m

Clear (Dawn/Dusk)1050m

Overcast (D/D) 762m

Rain (D/D) 438m

Snow (D/D) 251m

Fog (D/D) 200m

Thick Fog 84m

Clear (Night) 185m

Overcast (Night) 146m

Rain (Night) 95m

Snow (Night) 64m

Fog (Night) 54m

Thick Fog (Night) 28m

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: Enoch ]

A VERY similiar test result was posted here on the board a LONG time ago and there is also one on the board here somewhere that gives the distance you can see through tall pines, scattered trees and woods, ( i.e. how deep into the woods you have to be to NOT be spotted.

But I'm not sure where that post is.

Thanks for the LOS list that is very informative.

-tom w

Thanks Enoch. Don't suppose you'd try to do a movement table under varying conditions (i.e., American engineers / damp ground conditions = 28 meters / minute). It's a huge undertaking. I started to put this together but just got overwhelmed by the size of the project. One difficulty is you have to eyeball how far the unit travelled, requiring replay after replay. Maybe there'd be some interest in a group of people, each taking just a few units, and trying to put together such a table.

Funny you should mention that as I was thinking about that test as well. Vehicles would be the most difficult considering the varying speeds at which they travel.

You would also need to control for traveling across differnt surfaces (dirt road vs. paved road vs. open ground vs scattered trees)