Stalin as the worst monster of all

Guest Space Thing

tailz: comments like yours from up above are litered everywhere on this forum...I think its pretty ridiculous that you feel the need to "bud" in on the thread with your annoying comments when your not even interested in the topic since you even said it yourself, "what is there to be added?".

OK Freak, I'll enjoy the ride 'til the lock slaps down.

What's more evil, the WW2 era genocides or the US government's refusal to subscribe to the Kyoto Agreement on the Reduction of Greenhouse gasses?

The genocides killed millions... the US produces sixty percent of the global greenhouse emissions, hence affecting billions.

Too bad for the billions.

We, as the western nations of the world, are definitely accomplises to the acts of autrocities propegated by our nations. However, no nation is 'innocent'. I think that the rant that many people are on, is that we look at the world through black and white eyes of good and evil. THEY are evil, and WE are good. That is how all nations view their relationship with the rest of the world, which is wrong, and is one of the leading causes to war.

We are profitting off of the indecencies of the past, and ignoring our nation's responsibility (even though we weren't alive at the time) is continuing that crime. Every nationality has its dark points, and if we sit back and judge others while refusing to allow ourselves to be judged, then a great inequity of those we have harmed in the past exists.

We have come to believe that our nations are incapable of performing evil acts, so, whatever our governments do on the international scene is self warrented by "we can never do anything evil, so, this act, whatever it is, is not evil". This is what creates the Soviet Russia's, Nazi Germany's, Victorian England's, and Imperialist American's.

Even if we create some statute of limitations on autrocities, we are currently doing many acts of depravity and oppression, which we aren't being told about, or, are being covered up (ie. US support of fascist regimes in Chilie, Guatemala, pre-Castro Cuba, USSR support of evil regimes of Romania, Poland, UN attack on the population, instead of the military of Iraq, etc...)

The victors might write history, but, as individuals it is up to us wether or not we believe or support that history.

tailz posted:

What's more evil, the WW2 era genocides or the US government's refusal to subscribe to the Kyoto Agreement on the Reduction of Greenhouse gasses?

The genocides killed millions... the US produces sixty percent of the global greenhouse emissions, hence affecting billions.

Too bad for the billions.

Absolutley. 100% agreed. Glad you came around smile.gif

I think every single race/culture has oppressed another race or culture at one time or another. There are NO exceptions to that. Its Human Nature.

My ancestors are Portugese, They oppressed people.

I have told off color racial and sexist jokes and I assume by the same token I have oppressed people or contributed to the perpetuation of stereotypes.

I have made conclusions on why certain cultures "Are the way they are" without having complete information to make those conclusions.

And I will assume that I am not alone on this, but I also assume that it does not make me an evil person, just an avergae human.

I keep hearing talk about "Things have to change for a better future" but the old cliche still holds true. The best place to start is with our own individual selves, get on "The other side's" head and see things from a different perspective.

Otherwise it's business as usual, and only one thing is certain: People will continue to abuse and oppress other people.

Militaries have been around all these thousands of years because there has always been the need for a tool to either cause or protect from oppression.

Stalin was bad, Hilter was bad. A serial killer that kills 4 is no better to me than one that kills 10.

My 2 cents. (Plus tax)

[This message has been edited by Gyrene (edited 04-01-2001).]

Hiram, why would people who are score-keeping between Hitler and Stalins' death counts, and who equate same with refusal to sign the Kyoto agreement, and who are indeed indulging in circular back-patting in an exercise that frankly does not even belong in the General Forum despite weekly admonitions, but rather a late-night talk show for paint-huffing freshmen suddenly stricken by Blinding Flashes of the Obvious, even be interested in your opinion?

Now you get back to your pool right now, young man. Sorry to butt in, all. Please carry on.

Guest Madmatt

Not a reasonable topic for this forum. This isnt Revisionist History 101 or even History 101 here. This forum is for Combat Mission.

Madmatt