B*stard Units!!!

Hello, in this thread perhaps we could all nominate B*stard Units that we hate to face in PBEM games etc.

My nominations are:

Hetzer because of its nasty sloped armour and smallness.

Flamethrower Wasp: it has greater range than the German flamethrower halftrack. It is also a small vehicle, and extremely fast and nippy.

Let me express this in more positive words: what units can my opponent choose to annoy me because I don't have a good recipe?

Two M8 hmc instead of one sherman. Extra hours for my tank hunters. Also very nasty when they get sufficient HC charges, which they often don't, so its tempting to attack them head-on. I hate these decisions.

3" mortars: deadly for Pz IV and StuG.

StuG/StuH: cheap enough to come in sufficient number to make trouble. Either dangerous AT gun. Or high-blast howitzer, much better than 25 pdr and the vehicle is much cheaper than 105 Sherman and better protected than Priest.

Sturmkompanie: No more overruns with 12-men U.S. squads :-( IMHO more dangerous than SMG squads.

Infantry guns when I'm in foxholes. Much better effect than overall blast value indicates (CMBO's computation is more complex under the hull). Hummel when I'm in buildings. 150/155 arty when I drive around in thin-skinned SP guns and have lots of mortars around.

76mm U.S. tanks and tank destroyers when they come with enough tungsteen.

Thick Churchills.

Both Crocodiles because then still have a tank main gun to defend themself from my tanks while they mess with my defense.

Fighter-Bomber when I have no flak (ouch).

Allied halftracks with .50cal, especially in low visibility.

Masses of infantry in wooded terrain and/or low visibility, especially when it comes with Panzerfaust 100.

2 Canadian Badger + M3A1 + M8 hmc instead of one Churchill crodocile. Try to stop them before they do damage.

Of course, I would like to invite all my opponents to do exactly this, so that I learn to handle these :)

I can't believe no one has mentioned the

German 37 mm AA HT Sdk blah blah...

(OOps ! Sorry FFE mentioned the "the Sd Kfz 7/2 Flagwagon" already its the same unit!)

that unit is DEADLY

HARD to kill with HE, the stuff has NO effect and the burst nature of those 37 mm rounds tears through infantry and Allied armour alike! No,that German 37 mm AA HT is a REAL Bastard unit, I really hate facing them as the allies because they are really unrealistically HARD to Knock Out!

-tom w

[ 04-30-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]