How about another MOD PREVIEW!+input needed

The hi-res Commonwealth uniforms are still in progress, but *almost* ready for release. smile.gif

Some previews:

winter.jpg

New winter uniforms, with leather jerkins and toasty wool gloves.

britab.jpg

The airborne Dennison smocks have been improved, with deeper, earthier colors. I also added a toggle rope ("the rope of 1000 uses") running around the neck, shoulders and waist. Yes, I know the side BMPs are flopped, they'll be fixed in the release version. Also note the improved helmet scrim (compare to the prototype in the first screenshot).

Being a democratic sort of guy, I thought I'd ask for some input as to what kind of options people would like to see (within reason, I do have a life tongue.gif). So far what will be included are textures for all Commonwealth uniforms, an alternate fly-front battledress blouse texture, and three different helmets (plain, net, and scrim), as well as winter uniforms as seen above.

First off, your uniform mods are looking really good. As to suggestions for extras, well, if you have a few spare moments, how about a few Canadian unit shoulder patches like you did with the American uniforms....maybe just the Divisional Patches (IIRC, they are all solid squares, colour-coded red, blue, french grey, green & maroon). Regardless, keep up the good work.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewTF:

* bump *

Any more feedback?

smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice indeed. Great touch of accuracy adding the toggle rope.

Would you consider changing the light colour on the denison to a light khaki instead (Although this may make the webbing less defined).

Thanks

Peter

Well a little OT, but Andrew I finally got around to downloading your Hi-Res Kubelwagan. Love it, but what's up with the low-res wheel. And the bright white seat sure does stand out.

Also would you think about doing a Hi-Res German Sauer 6x6 Truck?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IPA:

Would you consider changing the light colour on the denison to a light khaki instead (Although this may make the webbing less defined).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my eventual aim--I'm going to try to make it similar in color to the khaki helmet scrim in the screenshots.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Well a little OT, but Andrew I finally got around to downloading your Hi-Res Kubelwagan. Love it, but what's up with the low-res wheel. And the bright white seat sure does stand out.

Also would you think about doing a Hi-Res German Sauer 6x6 Truck?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What lo-res wheel? You mean the steering wheel? That's a texture shared by all the jeeps and trucks, and back when I did that mod I didn't even think of doing anything with it. I've been experimenting around with it but have yet to come up with anything that looks good.

The white(ish) seat covers are what Kübels originally had from the factory. IIRC there is a verision of the mod with brown seats out there--I think Tom did it.

smile.gif

bezug.jpg

Andrew & Maximus ,

yep....I did an alternative leather upholstery for the Kuebelwagen ( and the prime mover ) some months ago ( I still use it , but never published it ). Should I change my opinion ?

Cheers

Tom

The white(ish) seat covers are what Kübels originally had from the factory. IIRC there is a verision of the mod with brown seats out there--I think Tom did it. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom:

bezug.jpg

Andrew & Maximus ,

yep....I did an alternative leather upholstery for the Kuebelwagen ( and the prime mover ) some months ago ( I still use it , but never published it ). Should I change my opinion ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, publish it Tom! After all, I've been making alternative helmet textures for the infantry mods, why not upholstery options? maybe someone could make some groovy beaded massager seat pads :cool:

Another thought, kind of relating to this topic:

This might have been discussed already (I *tried* to search, but no luck) but has there been any talk of making more that one uniform texture available for the squad graphics? To explain, it would be nifty to have say, two or three different hlemt textures or uniform tunic textures that would be randomly applied to each figure in the squad depiction, much like the faces are done now. That way in theory you could have, for example, a Heer squad with mixed Feldgrau and camo uniforms, or just helmets with mixed bare surfaces, netting, and camo covers.

Obviously this would work the best with the more rag-tag Germans with their historic mix of different uniform styles, but it could be applied in subtler ways to the allies, too.

Any thoughts? smile.gif

I am totally in favor of that, and anything that brings variety to the battlefield, Andrew. Having different faces helped a lot, but uni variants would be a much needed improvement.

Also, your Commonwealth stuff is as good as ever. As I said before, All Hail Andrew Fox, Clothier to CM!

Thank you for doing such a wonderful job on the uniforms!

Since you requested feedback, I have one small issue. Almost every uniform mod I've seen (from everyone) has a tightly buttoned collar. I get the impression that the mods are made by taking vintage clothing, buttoning it all up, laying in on the ground, and shooting a picture from above. That's accurate, but the soliders look as though they've been on the parade ground.

Could you try one with unbuttoned shirt collars? Maybe the material doesn't have to be perfectly flat when it's photographed...

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE-- this is not a flame. I have been trying to make a decent tank mod for the past four months, and it still sucks. I know the work that goes into these things!

Your stuff is great. I especially dig the Brit helmets with fabric strips. Keep up the good work!

-Joshik

What lo-res wheel? You mean the steering wheel? That's a texture shared by all the jeeps and trucks, and back when I did that mod I didn't even think of doing anything with it. I've been experimenting around with it but have yet to come up with anything that looks good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I mean the Kubelwagan WHEEL (tire hub). The rest of the mod is nice and smooth and sharp, but the wheel texture is blurry and pixelated a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The white(ish) seat covers are what Kübels originally had from the factory. IIRC there is a verision of the mod with brown seats out there--I think Tom did it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so I wish Tom would publish the option.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom:

bezug.jpg

Andrew & Maximus ,

Cheers

Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------

Hey Tom definatly make this able to download, I am not really big on the white seat. It stands out to much.

I sure do like that leather seat look.

I want it.

Please put it on your site

Thanks

Shatter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joshik:

Thank you for doing such a wonderful job on the uniforms!

Since you requested feedback, I have one small issue. Almost every uniform mod I've seen (from everyone) has a tightly buttoned collar. I get the impression that the mods are made by taking vintage clothing, buttoning it all up, laying in on the ground, and shooting a picture from above. That's accurate, but the soliders look as though they've been on the parade ground.

Could you try one with unbuttoned shirt collars? Maybe the material doesn't have to be perfectly flat when it's photographed...

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE-- this is not a flame. I have been trying to make a decent tank mod for the past four months, and it still sucks. I know the work that goes into these things!

Your stuff is great. I especially dig the Brit helmets with fabric strips. Keep up the good work!

-Joshik<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is alright. smile.gif

FYI, my method involves the use of vintage or repro uniform photos that I use to get that "photorealistic" look. I usually scour the Web to find these. Oftentimes they are laid flat, sometimes they're on a mannequin or a Real Live Human; I've found it doesn't make that big a difference in the way it ends up looking as the CM wireframe gives a very flat look. I've played around with making the uniforms and gear look "curved", but it turns out looking kind of strange.

There's more to it than just "cut and paste"--I do extensive retouching work to get it to look the way it does. Most of the uniform mods are made out of different pieces of several examples, blended together to get the right look.

I made the buttoned collars on the Germans because I like the way it looks. You'll note that the American uniforms have open collars, as do the new British ones.

Yeah, I admit the field grey German uniforms are a bit *too* neat looking. I tried to get away from that with the subsequent American and British mods. :D

Maximus--the wheel in question was made hi-res, I guess the pixelization is an effect of the way CM renders is. Maybe. That's my excuse anyhow. tongue.gif