Is the 128mm Pak44 L/55 a field gun?

Originally posted by Freak:

Is this the Jagdtiger gun or is this a field gun? And if so, is it available in CM?

I think it was developed as the successor for the flak 36 (88), and was deployed in germany in flak towers and such.. I'm not sure if theres a PAK "field" version, though.

JagdTiger is available from Dec44 on. The 88mm PaK43 and PaK43/41 (as well as the 88mm FlaK) are the largest German AT guns in the game. The largest field guns are the 105mm How, 105mm Recoilless (maybe not technically a field gun), and 150mm Infantry gun.

- Chris

Guest Michael emrys

There were indeed three such guns that saw very limited production.

There was the 12.8cm Kanone 44, of which two versions were produced, one by Rheinmetall (the one with the six-wheeled carriage referred to by Henry) and the preferred version by Krupps.

There was also the 12.8cm Kanone 81 produced on various captured carriages.

All of these were intended to be more or less dual-purpose guns: field artillery with anti-tank capability. The 12.8 K 44 was also sometimes referred to as the 12.8 Pak 44.

Michael

When I was still playing Close Combat 3 there was a "Western Front" mod made by some die-hards. I saw some PaK gun with a 128mm gun and it was quite rare to even see it with historical rarities on. Anyhow, it was quite nice as a dual purpose weapon and definitely on the extreme side of overkill against ALL Western Allied armor.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima