CM Armor Facts

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehehe....I've yet to manage to post an actual image on a forum. I gave up months ago. I did finally learn how to write something in bold font. I hope to be able to italicize in the next few months. smile.gif

So I doubled my samples and increased my accuracy +/- 3%. That will have to do. I guess I would have to do it 1,000 times to really be spot on, eh? I might start going with 400 just to get inside the +/- 5% instead of being just outside. My tests will just take a little longer is all.

Think of how many games you would have to play to experience any single matchup 400 times. These tests truly do present new knowledge about CM. Is it useful knowledge? Maybe not, but I enjoy finding out about various armor matchups anyway.

Treeburst155 out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

BTS has specifically stated in the past that price is base ONLY on actual combat value. Rarity, etc. is not figured in. Only lethality on the battlefield is considered for unit cost. Rarity will be factored into CMBB IIRC.

Treeburst155 out.<hr></blockquote>

In applying prices to tanks BTS seems to have placed a lot of weight on a tank's performance against infantry--hence the relatively high cost of Shermans. Why you have to pay a LOT extra for decent ground pressure characteristics and minimal armor improvements, though, is a mystery to me. The Jumbo 76 provides perhaps the most reasonable price-peformance return of all the US tanks, but is such rarity that I feel guilty ordering it in a QB. I once got three randomly assigned in a 2000pt QB and finally knew what POWER was.

Hey Tom,

I've been trying to send you your files for a tourney game for 36 hours now. Is your email down or is it something on my end?

I don't know. My email has been a bit inconsistent, but I have been receiving some files. I will try to link to you via email and we'll see. Sorry to be the cause of trouble.

BTW, I like your armor experiments. How about an M10 vs. Panther matchup. Also Sherm 76 vs Panther. Those happen a lot in the real game.

TEST EIGHT

VETERAN M4A3 76(W) vs REGULAR Panther VG(late) at 304 meters. Tested 400 times!!

Sherman survival rate: 97/400 or 24% (including 8 immobilized)

Panther survival rate: 255/400 or 64% (including 19 immobilized)

Mutual destruction: 12%

If anything, the Shermans did better than I thought they would, but that's still a nearly 3/1 survival advantage for the Panthers, which dont' cost vastly more than Veteran Sherman 76s.

Treeburst, when you put all of these results together, could you attach cost figures for each of the vehicles and maybe do a ratio of cost vs. survival? That might substantiate (or not) claims that US tanks/TDs are overpriced relative to German tanks/TDs. I know that wasn't part of your original goal, but it would be a useful by-product. We might be told that head to head battles aren't the way to fight with US tanks, but frankly the ability to survive head-to-head battles is one of the chief requirements of a tank.

I'll list the unit costs from now on. I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by a cost/survival ratio. I could divide the survival percentage (x 100) by the cost. This would mean the higher the quotient the better.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind.

If you're still running tests, how about the Jumbo 76 versus Panther and Tiger (all Regular)? The Jumbo 76 might just win against the Panther in a head to head confrontation. Not sure about the Tiger.

TEST NINE

Regular Jumbo 76 (two tungsten) vs Regular Panther VG(late) at 310 meters. Tested 400 times.

Panther cost: 199

Jumbo cost: 202

Jumbo survival rate: 41%

Panther survival rate: 51%

Mutual destruction: 8%

Note: There were five instances where both tanks survived the minute with working guns. These were counted as survivors for both sides. This situation occurred 1.25% of the time so I consider it interesting, but insignificant.

Survival/Cost ratio for Panther: .256

Survival/Cost ratio for Jumbo: .203

(Higher is better)

Even the mighty Jumbo has problems with the Panther(late) at common CMBO ranges.

I've come to the conclusion that tests should be done at several different ranges for all matchups.

I've already found that results can change dramatically with the Jackson/Panther matchup by changing the original range from 550 to 850 meters.

Treeburst155 out.

Thanks for running this test and for adding in the costs and cost ratios. I wonder if this supports JasonC's contention that Allied tanks are about 25% overpriced.

My seat-of-the-pants feeling has been that the Jumbo76 is the best-priced tank in CM, but here we see that the Panther(late), though 3 pts. cheaper, has in fact about a 25% survivability rate. On top of this, the Panther has much better ground pressure characteristics. I realize pricing is a complicated issue, but it does make one wonder.

Treeburst, are these all head-to-head battles against frontal armor or do the tanks have room to manuever for flank shots, etc? Also, would it make much difference if the Jumbos had, say, 5 tungsten rounds, which is not uncommon late in the war?

These are all head to head frontal armor showdowns. Why? Because 80% of the armor duels I find myself engaged in are head-on or nearly so.

I don't think more tungsten would make much of a difference against the Panther. Penetration of tungsten is actually worse than AP against the heavily sloped hull armor. Tungsten may help against the Panther turret however.

In normal play I have bounced many a tungsten round off Panther fronts. The Panther is just one tough tank. I'd rather fight Tigers any day.

Treeburst155 out.