Artillery vs. Tanks

I am in the middle of reading Belton Cooper's memoirs entitled "Death Traps". A very interesting read. Cooper says that the most effective anti-tank weapons that the 3rd armored division had were the M7 Priests !?

It seems that there 105 howitzers in indirect fire mode broke off many a tank attack because German top armor was quite thin. In CM the M7 only fires directly, so this can not directly be modeled, but using foward observers for 105's this should be simulatable.

However, in my experience 105 shells are just not effective at killing real german armor (although 8 inch shells work well).

So who is right CM or Cooper?

I'd like to second the recommendation of this book. Essential reading for anyone interested in ETO armored warfare, written by an expert who lived through it as a maintainance officer with the 3rd Armored Division.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Gremlin ]

I will also reccomend the book, it is a very good first person account from someone who had a good idea of the larger picture when in combat.

I think the effectiveness of arty vs. tanks has less to do with outright destruction and more to do with discouragement. Quite simply, no sane person is going to sit thru a barrage if they can drive out of it.

WWB