Unit Bases

To facilitate the playing of CM, it would be nice to be able to right click on a unit and select a custom color for the unit’s base. This would help keep the units organized. For example, I might make the unit bases of all of the squads of one platoon red, the unit bases of all of the squads of another platoon orange, the unit bases of all FOs blue and so forth.

Good idea, but probably not feasible as I doubt that it would really enhance the game enough to warrant the time it would take to implement it.

Sometimes I think that people forget about the FOW factor. They want so much information that you lose the "uncertainty of battle". Already is there too much information there for some players. So, speaking for myslef, I don't think color-coded bases would be as helpful as one would think.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBase:

To facilitate the playing of CM, it would be nice to be able to right click on a unit and select a custom color for the unit’s base. This would help keep the units organized. For example, I might make the unit bases of all of the squads of one platoon red, the unit bases of all of the squads of another platoon orange, the unit bases of all FOs blue and so forth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an interesting idea.

The way the brown/black command lines are currently set up, you can sort of tell, which of your guys belongs to what unit, by clicking on the platoon leader.

If he dies, though, you are SOL.

Personally I think that you might run into trouble with this color scheme though cause there are often many many platoons and we'd start running out of colors for them all.

Like a great many men, (and a much fewer number of women) I'm slightly (some days more than slighly) colorblind, so this would be a little confusing for me, and would probably get more confusing when I get older.

See, as you age, your corneas have a harder and harder time telling certain shades apart, especially yellow and orange ones...

Although the ability to turn this off for the aged and infimrm would deal with that issue.

Finally, sometimes I mix and match the units into separate ones. When I get a company of US troops, for example, I take all the 60mm mortars and put them together with the lieutenant of the weapons platoon in charge as their spotter.

Then I put the .50 in another platoon as close up fire support... But I don't always do this. Sometimes I do other, more sneaky and underhanded things...

That would sorta mess up the color scheme....

And sometimes if one platoon leader dies, I bring in the captain or company commander to pinch hit and keep the guys from losing morale, which may be a questionable tactic, but thats another thread and anyway, it might derange the color scheme plan.

Whether the base color thing is doable or not I think it's a good idea, certainly an addition I'd welcome. I love to organize my force and keep companies/platoons together.

The argument about Fog of War doesn't move me smile.gif I'm not one of those gamers who wants to simulate the experience of war--I just want the intellectual stimulation of figuring out how to win battle. Making it hard for me to see my own units--physically see and track them, as opposed to command and control--doesn't add anything to the game for me.

If base colors don't pan out, how about a pop-up list which you could sort, select one or many units, and those selected on the list would be highlighted on the map.

I'd hate to bring in the RTS construct of a "grouping" command, just because it's an RTS thing.

Either way, it would be a nice way to hunt down that unit that paniced and ran away.

Aloid