HUGE TIGER I 1/6....

Go over to http://www.plasticallyanything.com/ga/tiger1/tiger1.html

They have a 1/6 scale Tiger! It is 51 inches long and can accomodate 4 12" GI JOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hell bent on ordering one until I saw the price...$400!

Ouch. They do have one on ebay w/4 days left thats up to $261. Now I know what to ask my fiance for christmas/birthday next year tongue.gif.

[This message has been edited by Guy w/gun (edited 02-02-2001).]

Well, I think it is safe to say that their only means of technical reference was the old Mark I eyeball (or perhaps imagination?), because they surely didn't even try to get the dimensions correct on either the Tiger or the Stug. In fact, I'd say they are about as far off as I have seen on any replicas! I thought the Tiger was way off until I looked at the Stug. It hardly even looks like the same vehicle. I think one has to assume they are not really trying to market to a knowledgeable audience although some of their comments about the Tiger leave one to wonder.

$400 for a big toy to stick GI Joes in, no thanks. But thanks anyway for the link.

Why don't you buy the Tiger II from Tamiya?

It is a very good replica and radio controlled.

You can buy the crewman and infantrymen on the same scale from Verlinden Productions.

It is a much better buy.

btw the stug type vehicle looks like a Russian Su 76 to me.

Yes...I agree $400 is too much. Personally, I don't care about the finer details. It resembles a Tiger...thats enough for me. Why don't I buy the Tamiya? Because it's a model. I don't do models. If I tried to put one of those together, I'd end up destroying the whole thing. Im much to ham-fisted. If one of you wonderful guys would be willing to put together a R/C Tamiya for me(labor paid, of course) then I would consider it smile.gif.

I just posted the link because I was stunned at the sheer size of the thing...over 4 feet!

M.B.,

To be fair to this company, I really think they view their product more as a toy, than an accurate model. Trust me, the dimensions of the Tiger and Stug are not even close to realistic. Not only that, the Stug's suspension is nowhere near accurate. Not even the same type, from the looks of it. Sorry if my criticism seems harsh, I am really trying to temper it and not sound like a grognard when I am admittedly far from it. What I do know is those vehicles bear scant resemblance to the ones in my books or on my model shelves, although I cannot claim the latter as the paragon of historical accuracy either. Anyhoo, just my .02.

Guys, it says right on the website that the tanks are meant for customization.

In other words - the sellers know they look like crap, but are still willing to charge big bucks for them.

Check out the skinny tracks on the Tiger, too. Tigers did have narrow tracks, but these were for transit (so they could fit on a railroad flatbed). Once in the combat zone, the Tigers received the wide combat track.

Not that they had that in mind when they made the skinny tracks for these Tigers; I suppose it is just the standard pattern for all their models.

With the dimensions so far out, though, and the tracks so wrong, you gents are correct in that these would not be salvagable even with heavy customization - short of an entire rebuild.

The 1/6 scale Stuart and Bradley from Ultimate Soldier are still impressive though, if you get a chance to check them out.

I checked out the 1/6 Stuart from 21st Century Toys down at the local Toys R Us. BIG! wink.gif But it was $300 (still a hundred less than the PA offerings) and out of my range.

I picked up the 1/18 Sherman instead. For a "toy" it has amazing accuracy. It's accurate enough that I could definitely ID it as a 1943 production M4. It will take some long hours of kit bashing to bring it up to spec, but most of that will be finishing work, not detail work.

------------------

...and Kingmaker taught me that if you go to any town in Britain, sooner or later the plague will get you. - Offwhite

Guest machineman

Originally posted by machineman:

How about $215 for a tank that will actually shoot:

http://www.dansdata.com/mtank.htm

"When you've loaded some ammo and you hold down both fire buttons with the firing switch turned on, the firing motor buzzes and a red LED on the front of the turret goes on to warn you that the shooting mechanism is winding up. Then the tank goes ka-POP. And then there's a series of tick-tick-tick noises as the shot bounces around your house.

And then you say "Jesus H. Christ!""

You do know about 21st Century Toys' 1/18th (XD) scale line, don't you?

Go here: www.21stcenturytoys.com

They have both Shermans and Panthers at the moment, plus MG Jeeps (.30 cal) and Kubels, and about a dozen or so different apposable figures. Fairly cheap too, I paid $30 a Sherman at Amazon.com, the Panthers are either 35 or 40 bucks.

Forever Babra:

I picked up the 1/18 Sherman instead. For a "toy" it has amazing accuracy. It's accurate enough that I could definitely ID it as a 1943 production M4. It will take some long hours of kit bashing to bring it up to spec, but most of that will be finishing work, not detail work.

Missed your post.

------------------

Ah scheist.

[This message has been edited by Minnesota Joe (edited 02-03-2001).]

The 21st century toyline is great. I have the Sherm and the Panther. I have also managed to assemble an entire US inf squad with their figures-10 riflemen, a BAR, and Sarge with a Tommygun.

I wish that they would make more models of tanks. I'd love to see a Tiger I or Sherman 76 by them.

Below are a list of links to RC model web sities: #1 has a great 1/6 Tiger, that is RC.

#2 is a 1/6 stuart, very nice

#3 is information on more sites

http://www.interdacom.ru/~tanks/

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/fort/2011

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/5736/index.html

These are NOT the little shermans from radio shack. They are expensive, but worth every penny to watch the look on the cat's and dog's faces! If any one want more I have a few more sites.

eek.gif

Armornut

I went to the interdacom website that Armornut posted. Those are some seriously sweet RC tanks!!! Check out the videos of them in action! Wow, wow, wow! eek.gif Watching that Panther movie made me drool! biggrin.gif

Unfortunately there is no way in hell I can afford these things. frown.gif My real life truck that I have owned for the past six years only cost me $900. The Tiger model at this website cost $3,500 in the most basic form. With the extras (like RC gear) it runs over $4,300 plus shipping. Ouch! Now if I could just hit the lottery...

------------------

Craig

"Only a madman would consider the possibility of war between the two states (France and Germany), for which, from our point of view, there is no rational or moral ground." - Chancellor Adolf Hitler, Oct. 14, 1933

Oh yeah, check these out too:

david.jpg

------------------

Craig

"Only a madman would consider the possibility of war between the two states (France and Germany), for which, from our point of view, there is no rational or moral ground." - Chancellor Adolf Hitler, Oct. 14, 1933