Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM2 campaign proposal, BTS please read.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard from Steve (let me find the quote):

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> External Campaign System -> we currently have THREE folks asking to make a huge campaign system of one form or another. All three have made multiple detailed pitches to us. All three have started by saying all they need is the file format. All three have then described a system that requires much more involvement from us than just that to make their system work. We haven't rulled any of the three out (yet), but to be honest... I just don't see how it will be possible to do any of them. We know there is interest (though we don't think it is more than a decent minority of customers), but on balance it isn't as important as the other things we have to do. Remember, any campaign system is only as good as the tactical battles they contain. If we skip something major in order to do the campaign stuff, everybody suffers the loss.{correction. I made this sound worse than it really is. Let's just say that we are skeptical that "just an export file" will be enough. So we porceed with caution, but are still looking at the proposals I mentioned seriously <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on, Senor Beef, the ball is in your court, and we are cheering for you, so MAKE A GOOD CASE!!! And make it one they are willing to go along with (i.e. no code hacking) and we will get our campaign!

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Come on, Senor Beef, the ball is in your court, and we are cheering for you, so MAKE A GOOD CASE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

amen to that! i said it once and ill say it again: a campaign would be the ultimate CM experience!!!!!!! to be able to take your tank crew through 20+ battles?!?! and yes i do feel that increasing experience would be appropriate for a campaign. just my two small bits.

I am intrigued by the idea of a campaign system. I played an operation recently and was struck by how differently I fought compared to fighting a single battle. As someone mentioned earlier, wining ugly is a bad idea in an operation, you risk being clobbered in the next battle. I like the idea of aborting an attack, regrouping, and trying again later.

The only shortcoming to an operation is that reinforcements are pre-programmed. You can’t make anything conditional on the results of other combat. That sounds like fun.

I am bewildered by Steve’s comment that all of the campaign suggestions to date would require more than text files in and out. It seems to me that quite a nice campaign could be implemented with nothing more than that from BTS.

BTW did Senor Beef mention what language he programs in?

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Eric Alkema ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lindan:

I think it's realistical not to expect this kind of things before the engine rewrite.

Lindan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, I've mentioned several times that what I ask for isn't going to fundamentally change anything already in the game - it would require 2 add-on functons. One would output data that is ALREADY generated and kept track of - it would simply output it to a file, rather than to the screen.

The other is a bit more complex - but not hugely so. It would translate a text file of unit lists into whatever format BTS uses internally. This is also and 'add on' function, not requiring the internals to be entirely reworked, as far as I can see.

And to Eric: I'd probably be most of the logic in c++, and the interface in VB, its easier that way.

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: SenorBeef ]

About the general idea:

YES YES YES

GIVE IT TO ME BABY

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Just to compare with Close Combat III - the game is (IMO) a little bit, uhm, simple... but I really LOVE to lead a force through the whole war, see them rise etcetera... It makes this average game good, so what could it make for CM?