ME's and the Race for Flags (Yawn!)

It's another QB ME and I line my guys up for the race for positions close to the flags...

and I think: "This is so bloody unrealistic... It spoils the whole game - I don't feel like playing ME's anymore." :(

Has anyone come up with a sollution to this problem? (Yes I know the obvious one is to play designed scenarios) I'm talking about some way/rule/mutually agreed on code/restriction ..whatever.. to get rid of the race for flags in QB ME's.

Create a custom map (autogenerate works well), add some interesting features, put the flags where ever you want, find an opponent willing to play, then have a 3rd party purchase your force alignment and his force alignment, then play as if it's a scenario. Works very well.

Just don't do the rush. The attacker who is first there will not get foxholes, at least in non-town/non-village scenarios that is a major disadvantage.

Buy fat artillery (150-155mm or big mortars) and markers. Place markers on open ground behind (from your view) flags, run spotting half-squads to flags and then let down artillery on the advancing, probably tired enemy infantry.

Concentrate a major part of the force near a minor flag. If the enemy distributes his forces to seize all flags at once, eleminate one part. Place ambushes on the way from the next-nearest flag, especially AT-capable guns or tanks that pick off his AFV.

Get around the flags and attack enemy from the rear. While he is still moving, you will find heavy weapon teams helpless, proably also thin AFVs that were supposed to be guarded by keeping them behind the dangerous ones. Maybe combine with last paragraph, infantry on flag and simulaneous tank raid to enemy rear area. Is also historical :)

If you fail to get the flags, don't loose your nerves. In games with high losses the flags don't count much. Search for detached enemy units, maybe underpowered flag guards and attack them with all you have. The opponent will react when his view falls on the victory level display.

how about this:

Posted by

James

Member # 5559

posted 04-19-2001 09:13 AM

Here are some tips on senario design which give better AI performance from the infantry and more

unpredicatble better fought meeting engagements. Here are the three steps.

First: In map preview split all squads. This may seem strange but what happens is the split squads

behave with more caution, a more sensitive TacAI - they react more sensibily without needless sacrifice.

Also the global moral of both sides drops to 55-70% making the overall AI more cautious and less prone

to giving you a turkey shoot. The infantryman in CM is abstrated into squads, by splitting the squads

that abstraction is also half as less.

Second: Remove all victory flags. What!? I hear you say! The trouble with VLs is that you know where

the enemy will head for, even with dynamic ones, and all you have to do is get there first into cover to let

the AI force his men relentlessly into your incoming until their all casulties or broken.

Third: Place exit zones for each side opposite each other. ie Allies start in the west advance to exit zone

in the east and the opposite for Axis. What it actually does is give the Strat AI a fine balence between

attack and defence. It will utilse both strategies with flexibility according to the situation and use any part

of the map. It even withdraws in a hot spot to a better position. Actual exiting by the AI hardly ever

happens, and there is no need for you to exit if you are concentrating on defeating the enemy. The exit

zones are there not there as an objective but as a modification to the behavior of the AI.

These 3 steps may seem a bit strange but try designing a senario useing them all. Even an experienced

CM player can actully be given a real challenge and be beaten by the AI without it having superior weight

of numbers! I use forces of approximatly equal point strength all the time and the AI really gives as good

as it gets. I have had some excellent battles and lost a number of times, drawn most times, won

sometime. Not only does it feel more realistic it is a better game for useing these 3 steps.

PS:Use an existing hand made map from another senario

Maybe Rune or somebody can make up a few of these.

IT would be REALLY nice to specify a QB (hint for CM2) with NO flags

in a TCP/IP match even if ONLY one player had to exit his units out the exit zone it would be a great scenario.

This is a tricky question because when we all sit down to play we ALL want a "fair" chance to win. This is wholey unrealistic to begin with, because in WWII and virtually any armed conflict the attacker (and there is ususally an agressor) does not want to commit to the battle until he has some sort of odds advantage. We try to simulate this with Probes and assualts and attacks. But the ME is widely considered the most even way to engage the opponent.

Maybe QB's without flags for TCP/ip purposes is the way to go.

Premade Scenarios by Rune are also REALLY fun.

-tom w