Help, I lost my Scenario!!

:mad: I just spent about two days creating what I think is a really cool scenario. The first time I loaded it in order to test-play, when I hit save, I automatically saved it under the same file name as the scenario name (as I genrally do when playing regular CM scenarios). The problem is, it overwrote my scenario file with a saved game file! When I try to open it in the scenario editor, it deletes the map, units, etc. What the hell is going on and how can I get my scenario back!!!????

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1kmm:

:mad: I just spent about two days creating what I think is a really cool scenario. The first time I loaded it in order to test-play, when I hit save, I automatically saved it under the same file name as the scenario name (as I genrally do when playing regular CM scenarios). The problem is, it overwrote my scenario file with a saved game file! When I try to open it in the scenario editor, it deletes the map, units, etc. What the hell is going on and how can I get my scenario back!!!????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try opening the scenario in the editor and re-set it up I don't know mabye it will work...

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

The same thing happened to me six months ago. I posted about it and was told that there was no bug, and that I should learn to name things properly. It was no consolation.

I still don't think it is our fault. For some reason, the "Saved Games" folder pops up as default rather than "Scenarios" when you go to save a design-your-own battle.

There is also no way for you to retrieve the map - you will have to redo it from scratch.

D'OH I think the problem is that the editor defaults to saving custom scenarios in the saved games file rather than the scenario folder. Since scenarios and saved games both have the same extension, .cmb, it means that scenarios can sometimes be overwritten is they're left in the saved games folder. A damn annoying bug that can cost you a lot of work.

I don't know if it is a bug or not because BTS may have intended for it to work that way. However, it is not the way it should be. When you save a scenario or operation that you have created you have to save it in the scenario folder, other wise you run the risk of overwriting the game file when you playtest and save the game. I'm sure everyone has lost at least one scenario this way.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I don't know if it is a bug or not because BTS may have intended for it to work that way. However, it is not the way it should be. When you save a scenario or operation that you have created you have to save it in the scenario folder, other wise you run the risk of overwriting the game file when you playtest and save the game. I'm sure everyone has lost at least one scenario this way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a suggetion...at lest this is what I do when testing just add test save to the name its saves you the trouble. ;)

Okay, maybe its not a bug, but I think we can chalk it up to a poor design decision and inadequate documentation. If saved games and scenarios are both in the same file format, then ideally they should default to the correct folder when saving. The computer AI in the game itself is pretty brilliant, you would hope that the interface isn't completely brain-dead. At the very least there should be some mention of this in the manual. The unfortunate fact is that most of us are used to non-independantly produced games in which saved games, scenarios, and sometimes custom scenarios are all in different file formats. This is about my only complaint with CM, but it is an annoying one.

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: 1kmm ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1kmm:

Okay, maybe its not a bug, but I think we can chalk it up to a poor design decision and inadequate documentation. If saved games and scenarios are both in the same file format, then ideally they should default to the correct folder when saving. The computer AI in the game itself is pretty brilliant, you would hope that the interface isn't completely brain-dead. At the very least there should be some mention of this in the manual. The unfortunate fact is that most of us are used to non-independantly produced games in which saved games, scenarios, and sometimes custom scenarios are all in different file formats. This is about my only complaint with CM, but it is an annoying one.

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: 1kmm ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think one thing to point out is that like my self people waited a long time for this game I don't know how long you waited but waiting 4 or five or more months for this game after playing the demo is a long time (I am like so many pre-shiping CM buyers) some of us really pushed BTS mabye to much and they let some things slip.

[ 04-28-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]