Jumbo's - how do i beat these elephant skinned Goliaths

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Gentlemen: I too am a member of the Red Army team, and we often debate tactics together. I am a crusader for the "unrestricted" setting. I wrote to my comrades and lamented the combined arms setting in a 1500-2000 point game. I complained that 300-400 armor points was woefully inadequate. Comrade CDIC boasted that 300 points was all he needed to whip my behind and he challenged me to a game. As he is the Alpha male in our clan, I had no choice but to obey. I believe I got his attention and now he supports the unrestricted setting. This not only allows the German player to exceed the combined arms armor allowance but also adds another fog of war component. I still believe one must procure assets based upon a sound combined arms doctrine, but a couple of points here and there won't completely change your decision. As for the Jumbos, nothing is invunerable, but CDIC is now mulling the merits of the King Tiger. Cheers, John

Guest MantaRay

And gentlemen, I gather you have just got a glimpse of why being on a team is so good. The Red Army squad is not only made up of good players, but we also have a lot of correspondence about our games. Kind of what makes it so fun. If you havent got a team, try to find one or start your own and find some teammates. The single player is fun, but there is more at stake when your team lives and dies by your performance too. Great way to play IMO. RDGL is the way to go.

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

I believe I mentioned that nothing is invunerable. I am currently engaged in a life or death struggle against Jarmo. It's a team game and he is the Axis. He just destroyed a hull down Jumbo with...well, my fog of war indicates an assault gun. It could be nothing less than a jagdpanzer IV/70, but I'm afraid to consider the other possibilities. You'll have to ask him, but I will attest to the fact that it did a number on my Jumbo's turret front. Thread closed I suppose. Cheers, John

Best weapon I've found to take out a Jumbo is the panzerschreck. Take em out with front upper hull hits all the time @ 100 or so meters. Can penetrate 170mm @ 0 degrees. The Jumbo has only 152mm armor @ 0 degrees on the turrent (most heavily armored part), IIRC.

For long range use long barreled 75's (panther, jagdpanther, jagdpanzerIV/L70) or 88's. A nashorn will cut through a jumbo like hot butter, and a 150 IG will definitely kill them too.

The answer for allied ubertanks like the Churchill and Jumbo is the Puppchen.

An the other rocket thingy the germans get later.

It is dirt cheap and penetrates any armor.

Just do not let yourself bombarded from a 1000 ms, force him to move closer.

The long 75 or 88mm guns are also good.

Originally posted by John Kelly:

He just destroyed a hull down Jumbo with...well, my fog of war indicates an assault gun. It could be nothing less than a jagdpanzer IV/70, but I'm afraid to consider the other possibilities.

Hehe. OK, it's "only" a IV/70. biggrin.gif

I do believe you don't have anything left that can take it out

now that the Jackson is scrapped.

(Took another überweapon to kill it.) rolleyes.gif

Hmmm.. was that enough gloating for one post.

Comrade Kelly

Take heart your request for air support has been processed we will make short work of this impudent upstart Jarmo who dares to challenge the mighty Red Army!!!!!!

Doug: Rugged Defence groups ladder we fight for the mighty Red Army, individual battles but fought for the honour of the team, its a lot of fun and the communication between the team to sort out problems and setup forces etc is one of the most enjoyable aspects

Comrade Crocky

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Doug,

Although only one person can play a pbem game the Rugged Defence (I don't know how to put a link here) ladder has put up a team/country ladder.

As a team we all try and help each other with info, suggestions and advice when playing team games. Each player represents the team which consists of a leader and 5 players. The result of each game goes towards the team.

We are playing for "China - The Red Army" and we are at the number one slot right now, but it seems we are about to lose a couple of games. Great fun with good team spirit if you get a good bunch of guys. We have also helped each other by playing games between us whilst testing theories and tactics as well as trying out different units to see how effective they are.

The Jumbo has us stumped right now, a few good suggestions here but they all seem like a one off chance, or dependent upon luck. A real strategy on how to take em out has not yet been identified.

With King Tigers and Axis Uber Tanks we know the allied Tanks can use speed, cover, flank shots and tungsten as an answer - but what is the Axis answer to Jumbo's ?

By the way i am not an axis player - i play anyside, and its not a complaint that the Jumbo is too tough - just a question of how best to deal with Jumbo's.

Cheers and Beers, Pills and Prost,

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Originally posted by BlackVoid:

The answer for allied ubertanks like the Churchill and Jumbo is the Puppchen.

An the other rocket thingy the germans get later.

The Puppchen can't take out a Jumbo, I just had one bounce about 20 shells in a row off one of my Jumbos. Although the Puppchen is an 88 gun, it has low velocity and does not have enough punch to pierce the front armor of a Jumbo.When I was playing this scenario from the other side, I did manage to immobilize one Jumbo with the Puppchen, but then any reasonable gun can do that if it hits a track.

The high-velocity 88 AT gun however is another story...

Although it is possible to kill a Jumbo with the right weapon, the best chance by far is an immobilization or a gun hit that keeps it from moving. Once it is immobilized, it can be avoided or even killed if you can get infantry near it.

In sum, if you have no choice but to face a Jumbo, try to immobilize it by firing multiple weapons at it simultaneously. But you should avoid a one-on-one confrontation from the front unless you also have a uber-tank or a high-velocity 88 AT gun.

Henri