I 've Been Wanting To Post This Bug For Awhile Now...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

I don't see how it has to do with fuzzy logic.

If the halftracks are frightend in some place, they get the hell out of it. No special decision logic for airplanes has been coded, so they act the same no matter what the threat is.

There is randomness in their decision where exactly they decide to head, but that doesn't quality as fuzzy logic.<hr></blockquote>

Fuzzy logic has everything to do with it. It will determine if the halftracks stay in place as ordered or move to what it deems is a safer place. If you re-calcualte(not just replay the movie) the turn 50 times then you will get varying results because the decision of the halftracks is guided by logic with a little bit of randomness.One calculation may think the trees offer enough cover, so the halftracks stay. Another calculation may think that their cover is blown so the halftracks decide to move backwards. Yet another calculation may decide to move forwards.

The colonel is upset that the halftracks left the cover of the trees because he thinks it's logical to stay under their cover. He's right, it is logical to stay under cover UNLESS the halftracks think that they've been spotted by the plane. In that case the logical decision is to get moving to another safe spot ASAP because a moving target is harder to hit than a still target. So which decision is more logical?

I honestly don't know if CM takes all of these considerations into it's AI, but the fact remains that what happened to the Colonel's halftracks is realistic because there are all sorts of possible outcomes to his scenario. Fuzzy logic helps portray these possible outcomes. If fuzzy logic were not in the coding then you'd see the exact same thing happen each time you recalculated that turn.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pak40:

Fuzzy logic has everything to do with it. It will determine if the halftracks stay in place as ordered or move to what it deems is a safer place. If you re-calcualte(not just replay the movie) the turn 50 times then you will get varying results because the decision of the halftracks is guided by logic with a little bit of randomness.One calculation may think the trees offer enough cover, so the halftracks stay. Another calculation may think that their cover is blown so the halftracks decide to move backwards. Yet another calculation may decide to move forwards.

<hr></blockquote>

Well, for me that is just a bunch of possible reactions and not selecting the optimal one. Instead you disorder them by a random factor to give non-optimal decisions a chance to be selected.

That doesn't match Computer Science' definition of fuzzy logic and I doubt Charles will use the term in this way. Not having too much insight into CMBO's inner workings I gained the impression that CMBO uses "real" fuzzy logic to come up with a list of possible actions. But the selection which of these will be used is plain probalitily. Following that, the randomness you see from re-evaluating the action wouldn't have anything to do with fuzzy logic. But the set of several possible actions from which one gets executed would be built by feeding the events that the TacAI has seen so far through fuzzy logic.

To make that clear: fuzzy logic as the term is used in computer science would come up with the same answer every time, it is deterministic. However, it is extremly useful to feed if-that-then-that-but-on-the-other-hand events from turns into it, as all the things the TacAI sees are not just black and white, there are many "that is quite bad" or "that would be very useful". Applying randomness on the process of actually selecting one possible reaction is plain old probability and is done in every serious wargame.

It is safe to assume that the "move on danger" TacAI code doesn't know what an airplane is and that the set of possible solutions to the problem is not influenced by any "this reaction doesn't work against airplanes" considerations. Most probably the TacAI tries to get away from the danger and it uses the fasted route, which means it tries to get into terrain where it is faster, out of scattered trees. I might add that human crews may behave in the same way, it's not that all of them are overly smart or know how to deal with fighter-bombers calmly.