Top Floors

Probably the answers are in another thread, but the damned :mad: search engine stucks me too ...

Two questions about top floors:

1. There are some kind of procedure to conserve the troops in the top floors from one battle to the next in an operation? (when you don't loose part of the map, of course)

2. One MG in the top floor has any kind of penalties? I remember the ASL rule, when you loose the MG "penetration factor" if in a top floor.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

I haven't played any operations with multiple-storey buildings, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Do you mean that units on upper storeys are placed elsewhere between battles, or do you mean that they disappear? In the former case, I imagine this is a limitation of the game engine.

As for what ASL says about machineguns, why should they function differently depending on what storey they're on? Differences in air pressure? :)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leta:

2. One MG in the top floor has any kind of penalties? I remember the ASL rule, when you loose the MG "penetration factor" if in a top floor.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

As for what ASL says about machineguns, why should they function differently depending on what storey they're on? Differences in air pressure? smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what Leta is referring to is a MG Fire Lane (Leta, correct me if I’m wrong). Since CM tracks rounds until they hit something or leave the map, a MG firing to a lower level will have its rounds stopped by a solid object, such as the ground. If it fires at a target at the same elevation, any rounds that don’t hit the target will continue on until they hit something else or leave the map.

Storeys is the proper Queen's English way to say it. Sheesh.

On operations, I seem to remember an operation where troops I left in the top floor were still there at the start of the next battle. It might depend on whether you are attacking or defending and how close to the setup zone your troops were.

i also play ASL, and i dont remember any penalties outside of the fire lane rule. as for CM, doesnt that give the MG a chance of shooting INSIDE the vehicles which are OT? using the deck AF? i know with zook/schrek's this is possible, and VERY effective (as long as you dont burn all your buddies!)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think what Leta is referring to is a MG Fire Lane (Leta, correct me if I’m wrong). Since CM tracks rounds until they hit something or leave the map, a MG firing to a lower level will have its rounds stopped by a solid object, such as the ground. If it fires at a target at the same elevation, any rounds that don’t hit the target will continue on until they hit something else or leave the map. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is called "grazing" fire. Very effective and of considerable import when setting up MGs to deal with enemy infantry, i.e. though a round might miss someone in the front ranks, it still has the possibility of hitting someone further back. Effectively increases the firepower of a properly placed MG.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flashman:

This is called "grazing" fire.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In ASL 'grazing fire' is called 'Bore Sighting'; getting a -2 DRM when firing on a pre-targeted hex. An ASL 'Fire Lane' is the ability of a MG to attack several hexes in a line.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Storey: A level in a building. Plural "storeys".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Story' and 'stories' are also correct spellings for that definition. In fact, they are the preferred spellings. Cf. Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary p.1162.

Michael

Dear Michael,

Perhaps you might like to consider the outside of the cultural box in which you live. You might like to also consider that Maximarses's comments were part of a long running linguistic catfight he has going with Aitken. This is a bilingual forum after all. I suggest you consult an English dictionary for the original definitions and an Amglish dictionary for the let's have one word for everything definition. hehe

Now for the answer to the question. CMs treatment of MGs is fairly unsophisticated for a variety of reasons. But we won't go into that will we, because it's been done to death. In the MG thread currently running (at least until someone grabs a wooden stake [that's steak for maximus's benefit]) there is a bunch of useful links. Anyway fire lanes aren't really modelled at the moment in CM, ie no grazing fire. But the advantages being higher than the target are, ie less cover for the target. So there actually is some advantage to being on the top floor. I do not think CM tracks small arms fire until it leaves the map.