German War Movies

Great to see all the movie enthusiasm recently in the forum. But no-one mentioned "The Bridge" (in german, it's "Die Brucke", a 1959 film about teenage Volksgrenadiers defending a bridge in April 45, directed by Bernhard Wicke. Once you see it, you get the idea of where the second half of the plot of Saving Private Speilberg came from. Add this to the often-mentioned Bas Boot (The Boat), a masterpiece, and Stalingrad, and you've got to hand it to the German film makers. Let's not forget, people, that CM is good fun. War is the opposite, which is what the German film-makers seem to know.

Stalingrad was rubbish!

One moment the unit is in the city, the next they are slogging towards some underground wine and food cellar (straight out a Hassel book).

And don't the child Russian soldier cliche which gets shot by GUESS WHO and the women Russian soldier who meets dozens of miles away once again with GUESS WHO??

Risible, very very bad.

"The Bridge" is indeed a great movie. Shows what war is about. I like how the enthusiasm of these young boys gets turned into horror and disbelief.

Ah, and never fire a Panzerfaust if there's someone standing behind you...

And "Das Boot"? My favourite movie. Especially the TV-version. I think it's 4-5 hours long. The book's even better.

Favourite scene: The two U-Boats meet in the middle of the atlantic during a storm!

Bates, I wouln't say that "Stalingrad" is rubbish. If you do, you didn't understand the movie. It's not a typical war movie about tanks and fighting, it's more a study about human behaviour under extreme circumstances.

Although, and on that I agree with you, some scenes are just too stereotype...

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Don't forget the MP officer in Stalingrad that also keeps popping up time and time again to meet with our heros. But why are we discussing this here?

Well this is the "German War Movies" thread smile.gif

If you like I can wait for the "German War Movies made in the 90s" thread to appear biggrin.gif

Originally posted by M. Bates:

If you like I can wait for the "German War Movies made in the 90s" thread to appear biggrin.gif

I think some of the problems with poor old Stalingrad come from an editing booth somewhere deep in der fatherland. The original film was about a zillion hours long over an umpteen-week screening schedule, and I think the result we have been left with has been edited with the kind of short attention-spans of wimps who can only cope with three-hour movies. Hence the logical and technical shortcomings...

Guest SS Peiper

another good one was Stalingrad (Dogs do you want to live forever) B/W I think it was made in the 50's Great movie. IMHO The new Stalingrad I think was a very good movie.

SS Peiper

[This message has been edited by SS Peiper (edited 04-05-2001).]

Originally posted by M. Bates:

The thread is great - its just in the wrong forum. I hate to add anything else here since it will likely get locked up. I wish you guys would bring these things up in the general forum where they would last.

Of course, anyone interested can search for our previous comments on this film.

Joseph Vilsmaier's book on the making of Stalingrad (1993 model) gives a list of interesting German/Russian movies relating to Stalingrad, and other such scraps. Australian forum members should keep an eye on the SBS schedules ... a German offering circa mid-1950s about the July plot regularly crops up (Major Ernst Remer strutting about like a peacock) as does another German piece about Verdun. And somewhere in this world there is a German propaganda film about the invasion and occupation of the UK in 1940, would you believe.

Michael I disagree totally with you about being the wrong place to post. This is the right place to post. There have been many Movie threads here and now you complain!! :eek:

I like "The Bridge", I even purchased a copy of it for my collection. I like the different human sides it protrays, as well as the battle scene at the end. Can somebody identify what kind of tanks were used?

What other WWII two movies would you like to reccomend from Europe? I have also purchased "Winter War" from Finland?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GonzoAttacker:

Michael I disagree totally with you about being the wrong place to post. This is the right place to post. There have been many Movie threads here and now you complain!! :eek:

I like "The Bridge", I even purchased a copy of it for my collection. I like the different human sides it protrays, as well as the battle scene at the end. Can somebody identify what kind of tanks were used?

What other WWII two movies would you like to reccomend from Europe? I have also purchased "Winter War" from Finland?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cross Of Iron (region 2) DVD has a very good anamorphic widescreen transfer, the original mono sound but little extras. an excellent film though, the screenplay and direction are excellent, plenty of action scenes and good dialogue.