directing mortars & off-map artillery

The HQ acts as a spotter. You don't target the enemy with the HQ. As long as the HQ is in command of the on board mortar, the mortar can fire indirectly at any target to which the HQ has LOS (as long as it is in range). A good example is where you have an HQ hidden in the top floor of a building so he has LOS to an AT gun you want to knock out. Place the mortar(s) behind the building so they are protected. Target the AT gun with the mortars. You will get an orange targeting line to indicate that it is area fire. The mortars will then fire while the HQ remains hidden. Since it is area fire the shells will continue to land in the same place even if the target moves, so you probably don't want to use this method against fast moving targets. This only works for on board mortars. It does not work for artillery, mortars mounted in halftracks, or Forward Observers.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

It seems that when I try that (HQ) in a building, if he can see the enemy, they can see him and shoot at him making him take cover but I'll try hiding him first and see if that works.

Try using sneak to move into the building from a direction that the enemy doens't have LOS to. Set a hide command at the end of the sneak movment so that when your HQ gets into position it'll go to ground. And don't get too close to any enemy unit from that building unless you can take the fire until the mortar takes out whatever you are going to be shooting at... maybe move the mortar up first so that it'll start fireing as soon as the HQ is in position.

I hate you all for giving such details on one of my favorite things to do.

Compassion and Ryan are correct and the best way to do it is with a sneak/hide command.

Set those buggers back with a good LOS from the HQ and it's almost like having another FO that can fire with no time delay. This is especially true with the German 81mm mortors, although I have leveled light buildings with the US 60mm.

Since I am giving away all my secrets I might as well give it all away. When playing any game in which I have a full company the first thing I do is gather all the mortors together and give them either the heavy weapons platoon HQ or the company HQ and start looking for a place where I can set them up to move into a position where the HQ will be able to see the largest portion of the field while still being hidden. It gives great covering fie if advancing and will really slow down attackers.

------------------

"When they finally put you in the ground..I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down" Elvis Costello