Vehicles providing cover, a simpler way?

Perhaps this has been brought up before but...

I understand the reasoning behind why vehicles can't block the LOF of shells in the current engine, but perhaps there is a simple, compatible way that squads could get some cover from being behind vehicles and wrecks.

Suppose the game just did it like this: if a squad is close to a vehicle, and the LOF of enemy small arms fire goes through the spot where the vehicle is located, the defender simply gets a higher 'cover' rating. Perhaps blasts centered on the opposite side of a vehicle could be effected as well.

This could put some more interesting dynamics into infantry fighting, with guys fighting from behind KOd trucks and tanks and the like. It would also make it feasible for squads to move beside or behind a tank, to take advantage of its cover. This could be especially interesting in a bridge crossing scenario.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CMplayer:

Perhaps this has been brought up before but...

I understand the reasoning behind why vehicles can't block the LOF of shells in the current engine, but perhaps there is a simple, compatible way that squads could get some cover from being behind vehicles and wrecks.

Suppose the game just did it like this: if a squad is close to a vehicle, and the LOF of enemy small arms fire goes through the spot where the vehicle is located, the defender simply gets a higher 'cover' rating. Perhaps blasts centered on the opposite side of a vehicle could be effected as well.

This could put some more interesting dynamics into infantry fighting, with guys fighting from behind KOd trucks and tanks and the like. It would also make it feasible for squads to move beside or behind a tank, to take advantage of its cover. This could be especially interesting in a bridge crossing scenario.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]<hr></blockquote>

since cm was made with lower end comps in mind, they didn't put this in. i think this still doesn't help because you have to CHECK if the los goes through the tank. that's where the major calculating goes in and why we have to wait for the super rewrite.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by russellmz:

i think this still doesn't help because you have to CHECK if the los goes through the tank. that's where the major calculating goes in<hr></blockquote>

Well they know their product best, of course, but it seems that LOS checks go on all the time, otherwise nothing would know what it can shoot at. Also, I have it directly from Madmatt that the number one burden on the CPU (during the turn outcome calculation) is the tacAI. Combat resolutions and LOS checks are a drop in the bucket compared to it.

Also, the point is that the vehicle/wreck wouldn't block LOS, it would just increase the cover value when doing the damage resolution. I think this might be a different idea than the one Steve said wasn't possible with the current engine.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]</p>

CMPlayer,

What you're asking for is the same thing as the "being able to shoot throug friendly tanks" syndrome. If it were possible under the current engine (without hogging massive CPU resources) then BTS would have done it. BTS has already posted why it couldn't be done.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pak40:

CMPlayer,

What you're asking for is the same thing as the "being able to shoot throug friendly tanks" syndrome. If it were possible under the current engine (without hogging massive CPU resources) then BTS would have done it. BTS has already posted why it couldn't be done.<hr></blockquote>

I haven't seen that post. The only thing I am familiar with is why the trajectories of shells cannot be blocked by vehicles, which is NOT the same thing as I was describing. In any case, I don't see any harm in asking the question.