CD Cleaning

Probably mild dish soap like Ivory™ and warm water. I once boiled an AOL cd just to see if it would still be readable and it was fine.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Originally posted by LimShady:

Question for you guys:

I got some gunk (Del Monte Extra Light Syrup) on my CMBO CD (yes I've learned my lesson about not eating near the computer). Best way to clean it off?

LimShady

Do you have a grinder and/or an acetylene torch? tongue.gif

------------------

Later, Dave

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

Can it get dirty if it is never taken out? I've got a dedicated drive for the startup.

If your drive is located in the big box with your CPU, or if external has its own fan, it will suck in dust.

Michael

Guest Madmatt

Here is the procedure I give to people when they have problems cleaning their cd's:

Lets try a simple little procedure.

Get some rubbing alcohol and dilute it with water (about a capful total) Dip a Q-tip into the solution and then gently rub the soaked Q-tip across the shiny surface of the CD. Be sure to work any area that show smudges or scratches. Let the CD airdry. Re-insert the CD and And try to re-install.

Guest Michael emrys

There are also CD cleaning kits that you can get in record stores, though I have no experience with them and can't say if they are any improvement on MM's technique.

One thing I would be careful to warn you of if you are cleaning dust off, try to avoid rubbing the surface at all. Just hold it under running water for a few seconds. After shaking off as much water as you can, dry it gently with a tissue or soft cloth. When rubbing the surface, always stroke from the center to the edge and back, never parallel to the "grooves".

And if you do get a scratch in it, I think there are some polishing compounds that will buff out minor scratches that can also be obtained through the better record stores. This service also used to be provided by certain companies, but it's been a few years since I saw any ads for it, so I don't know if anyone is still doing it. Maybe it was just cheaper to buy a new CD than to pay someone to polish your old one.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

There are also CD cleaning kits that you can get in record stores, though I have no experience with them and can't say if they are any improvement on MM's technique.

One thing I would be careful to warn you of if you are cleaning dust off, try to avoid rubbing the surface at all. Just hold it under running water for a few seconds. After shaking off as much water as you can, dry it gently with a tissue or soft cloth. When rubbing the surface, always stroke from the center to the edge and back, never parallel to the "grooves".

And if you do get a scratch in it, I think there are some polishing compounds that will buff out minor scratches that can also be obtained through the better record stores. This service also used to be provided by certain companies, but it's been a few years since I saw any ads for it, so I don't know if anyone is still doing it. Maybe it was just cheaper to buy a new CD than to pay someone to polish your old one.

Michael