Shooting at friendly units?

Is it possible that units will shoot at friendly units?

I know this can happen with fighter bombers, but I've not heard of it with ground troops.

I've seen it happen on two occasions, both on the same map. It could have been night, I can't remember, so maybe that had an effect. The first time it was a paratroop squad shotting at a platoon HQ. The second time, a paratroop squad shooting at a mortar.

I'll try and post the picture here, so you can have a look.

I've had to post the website containing the pic: http://members.tripod.co.uk/halley/index.html

Hello Dunc,

Friendly fire happens in CMBO. It happens more often during night but I have seen (IIRC) friendly fire during the day as well.

What I do then is simply cancel the fire by pressing backspace.

Regards

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

looking at that pic, dunc, get yourself some terrain mods. You're still using the stock textures. Get DD's terrain from CMHQ, it'll change the total appearance of CM. And then also get Panzertruppen's buildings.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

I've had this happen before, too, also during night missions, and when I have two seperate groups operating at once. Some rifle platoon will see the movement of my other group off on the other hill and become gung-ho about engaging them.

At that point I slap them soundly and scream "GODDAMN WORTHLESS WASTES OF OXYGEN, THOSE ARE YOUR ALLIES STOP YOUR BLOODY SHOOTING!" At which point they continue to shoot and I groan.

dunc,

So far as I know, it's been in the game since the first version of the demo came out. The scenario I was playing had some Allied troops

holed up in a stone cottage. I hosed them liberally with an MG-42 on a tripod, then sent in the mounted Panzer Grenadiers to storm the building. I forgot to cut off the MG-42, though, and when one of my 251s crossed its firing line...I wound up with one less 251 as a string of ball and AP ripped through the thin sides of the unfortunate halftrack.

If you play this game long enough you'll manage that and worse. You'll forget to turn off mortar fire and run into your own barrage or lose track of that heavy support fire and forget to shift it from what used to be enemy positions. This is especially a problem with crummy FOs whose request-to-steel on target delays will induce apoplexy or put you to sleep. A sleep which will come to a crashing end when the world explodes.

All of the above occurred in broad daylight. It only goes downhill thereafter.

Regards,

John Kettler

Guest Michael emrys

Friendly fire seems to happen particularly often when you have targetted area fire on a location and then try to move troops into or near that location. Getting between the firer and its target (i.e. in the line of fire) can be unhealthy too, as is sometimes even moving behind the target. Trouble is that units don't seem to be able to identify friendly units and hold fire.

That this would happen sometime is realistic enough, but I've had it happen on odd occasions. Once I was assaulting a tree line that I suspected might be held by German infantry though I hadn't spotted any. I was using armored infantry in halftracks and had the halftracks target the trees to suppress anybody that might be hiding out there. The halftracks arrived at the edge of the trees and stopped, and the infantry debarked and moved further on in to the trees and the turn ended. I was surprised to note that one of my squads had taken several casualties and that their morale had taken a sudden downturn. I played the turn over and over again nearly a dozen times trying to figure out where the fire had come from and was finally led to the inescapable conclusion that the only place it could have come from was its own halftrack! This had fired a burst just as the grunts had stepped in front of it. Seemed like poorly coördinated gunnery to me.

Lesson learned: Don't order any of your guys to move in front of a firing MG. Hold them back until the end of the turn. Then in the next turn, before you plot their orders, cancel the firing order for the MG, or give it a new one somewhere else.

Michael

THe last game I played with a lot of friendly fire was as the Americans with a lot of green troops in a night mission. This leads me to ask the question: does troop quality factor into friendly fire at all?

------------------

There was a long silence of rememberance for the dead, to which I added these names:

Ernst Neubach, Lensen, Wiener, Wesreidau, Prinz, Solma, Hoth, Olensheim, Sperlovski, Smellens, Dunde, Kellerman, Freivitch, Ballers, Frosch, Woortenbeck, Siemenlies...

I refuse to add Paula to that list, and I shall never forget the names of Hals, or Lindberg, or Pferham, or Wollers. Their memory lves within me.

There is another man, whom I must forget. He was called Guy Sajer.