Is there something wrong with this picture?

My son and I played a TCP/IP tonight. I hosted and went for a 1500 point QB ME. We were in a hurry to start so I let the computer select equipment. Here is what I got:

4 Hellcats, 1 Stuart, 1 Jackson, 1 Command Car, 1 Jeep, 2 Engineer companies, 3 Flamethrowers, 1 81 mm spotter.

He got:

3 Stug III's, 1 Panther A, 1 PZ IV, 2 Pumas, 1 Nashorn, 1 105mm spotter, an 81mm mortar, and mucho Panzergrenadiers with schrecks.

Needless to say, I got whipped good and don't think it was all my fault. Is it possible that there is some setting that gave him a points boost or is the above really an equal allocation of points?

Save me from further humiliation!

I treat computer generated units as a way to have fun, not a test of whose the better opponent. Sometimes you get bad draws, and it's a measure of skill to see how well you use them.

If you're treating the game more as a contest, use DYO units. And if you really want to have fun, use DYO units on a unique map, like a river crossing.

The computer choosen forces are kind of odd at times.

I am currently playing a pbem assault of 5000 points, with me the defender. We did specify combined arms, but I got armored infantry only: 4 batallions of troops with the attached 43 halftracks. Added as AT measure was 1 (yes one!) Hetzer.

My opponent (hi Kitty) got a bunch of Shermans and Croc's, apart from troops aplenty.

Needless to say I am not holding the field.

Bertram

What exactly is "mucho Panzergrenadiers" 2 platoons? 3 platoons? And what was the experience level of his troops comparied to yours? Green? Vets? Experience makes a big difference in the cost.

Beat by your own kid, you'll never live this down, better go practice against someone you don't know for a while ;)

Although it's true that the computer sometimes picks weird forces, that looks like a pretty fair set up to me; in fact, it seems like the US might have an advantage, even, with two companies of combat engineers, plus 4 Hellcats, plus a Jackson TD.

Speaking very generally, it seems like the Hellcats, working as a platoon, should be able to easily destroy all German AFV's but the Panther, and if the Hellcats work with the Jackson, they should be able to take out the Panther with no difficulty.

Ahem.. (embarassed throat clearing noise)

After reviewing my original whiny sniveling post and picking forces for 1500 point scenarios from both sides I surmise there is nothing wrong with the picture. I wrongly assumed that a Panther A and the Stug's were more expensive than they are.

I just got beat... I lost 2 hellcats right away trying to take advantage of his exposed flank. Got the Nashorn and then should have fled. Unfortunately, they engaged other targets once the surprise was gone and got wasted. It is clear to me now that if my tanks are engaging a target they will not back away even if ordered unless the target is cancelled....

The troops were all of the same quality. I don't know exactly how many panzergrenadiers he had, but it was more than the 72 engineers I started with. (In all his gleeful taunting, he did not reveal what he had)

I certainly would have not picked engineers. No zooks, no heavy mgs and those totally useless flamethrowers.