GeForce 3 Hits The Shelves!

Hi, Mom!

Doubt it will, based on things BTS has stated in this forum. It sounds more like we'll see simple improvements like more detailed textures, but not more flashy things like dynamic lighting, bump mapping, DX8 effects that the GF3 will allow, etc.

------------------

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

A GeForce 2 will serve you well for a long time if your proc is fast enough and you have enough memory. Nvidia is on a 6-month product cycle, so as soon as you buy any vid card, the next one appears.

------------------

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

It has 64 meg DDR ram standard, with an option for a version

with 128 meg ram. smile.gif

I'm finally getting my new system this month, just in time to have a

new gf3 built right in. smile.gif It's going to be a real rocket for 3D games,

I expect CM to run over 100 fps at 1024x768 most of the time and not

much under that ever, even in big battles. smile.gif

Originally posted by Lee:

...with 128 meg ram. smile.gif

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I'll be goddamned, thats amazing! I imagine all the FPS freaks will be all over this thing in a second. The speeds this card will be able to produce must be quite something while running a flashy game...CM will benefit in the speed department as well, no doubt.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

I just bought (wife bought me) the GEForce2 .... and was just amazed at how great it is compared to the VooDoo3 I had in there B4. All I can say is thank you NVIDIA!! The grafics are night and day no pun intended. Oh yea thanks honey yer the best....no about that new CD writer i wanted hehehe

------------------

"D-Day was a nightmare. Even now it brings pain to recall what happened there on June 6, 1944. I have returned many times to honor the valiant men who died on that beach. They should never be forgotten. Nor should those who lived to carry the day by the slimmest of margins. Every man who set foot on Omaha Beach that day was a hero."

General Omar Bradley-

Check out this quote from the site. Kick-ass stuff...

"The GeForce3 GPU's nfiniteFX engine gives developers the ability to program a virtually infinite number of special effects and custom looks. Instead of every developer choosing from the same hard-coded palette of capabilities and ending up with a generic look and feel, application developers can specify personalized combinations of graphics operations and create an unlimited list of their own effects. Two architectural advancements enable the nfiniteFX engine's programmability and its multitude of effects: Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shaders.

Vertex Shaders inject personality into characters and environments. The vertex processing capabilities allow characters to move and show facial emotion, materials to stretch, and the scene to come alive. By customizing the skinning and motion, developers can create an appropriate personality, intensifying the impact of the visualization or animation.

Pixel Shaders create ambiance with materials and surfaces that mimic reality. Amazingly realistic material effects replace the artificial, computerized look with high-impact organic surfaces. Characters now have facial hair and blemishes, golf balls have dimples, a red chair gains a subtle leather look, and wood exhibits texture and grain. By altering the lighting and surface effects, artists are able to manipulate colors, textures, or shapes and generate complex, realistic scenes."

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

For more technical treatments for all you graphics nuts, check out the article @ Tom's Hardware site. The power of GeForce 3 simply makes chill runs down your spine.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

If only they would introduce alpha-blended texturing in CM2 for the effects (fire, smoke, etc). Detail and animated real time textures for realistic flowing water and other "active" surfaces. Combine this with dynamic lighting and........oK i'll just leave it at that for now...but just imagine....

Quiet you guys!!!, or else Gunny Bunny while hear about this, and the next thing you know, he will be demanding that CM2 be optimized for this card, thus forcing everybody to upgrade their computers wink.gif

-OOps, too late, I just noticed his post here.

------------------

"With cat-like tread, Upon our prey we steal;

In silence dread, Our cautious way we feel." -G

[This message has been edited by Roborat (edited 03-02-2001).]

Originally posted by Roborat:

Quiet you guys!!!, or else Gunny Bunny while hear about this, and the next thing you know, he will be demanding that CM2 be optimized for this card, thus forcing everybody to upgrade their computers wink.gif

-OOps, too late, I just noticed his post here.

Yup to late.

AND...let me just say I told y'ah so.

You may recall CM1 was targeted for 4 megs and they had to scramble to get it to 16 megs.

Now CM2 is targeting 32 megs and should be targeting 64 megs. Looks like scrambled eggs to me !!

*** Wabbits like carrots and eye candy !

Originally posted by Gunny Bunny:

Now CM2 is targeting 32 megs and should be targeting 64 megs.

And you know this because you are a professional game designer?

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super