SMG thread annex

Holy Mother of God! Here I am in Canada's wonderland serving my country and....why I oughtta....for two cents I'd....

Anyone miss me yet? Well, it is nice to see BTS weigh in, and I guess all that is left to say, is that I too look forward to seeing CM2.

Hello to all the CMer's out their still in the comfort of their own homes and not trapped at a hallway internet stand in an Army dorm. I am playing unmodded CM on my laptop when I get the chance. It's not as bad as it sounds....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron:

I'm really don't know where you are getting that from. Pure SMG squads are useless at 100m and only come into their own at the 40m range. From experience playing or a 'sterile' test, SMG squads will cause zero to minimal casualties at 100m while US Rifle squads will eventually chew said SMG squads up at that range. SMG squads are only good at close assault.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid this is simply not at all true. A quick look at the CM FP ratings shows that SMGs beat rifles hands down at 100m.

FP at 100m:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>K98k 5.2

Garand 7

Lee-Enfield 6

SMG (all models) 9

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

I'm afraid this is simply not at all true. A quick look at the CM FP ratings shows that SMGs beat rifles hands down at 100m.

FP at 100m:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>K98k 5.2

Garand 7

Lee-Enfield 6

SMG (all models) 9

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What isn't true? I said a SMG squad versus a US Rifle squad, not a single SMG versus a single Rifle. CM is a squad level game, so where's the all Rifle squad so I can see where it gets beat hands down?

Point is still there, SMG squads are only effective in the sub 40m range. If you think otherwise let me ask you this, do you regularly open up with SMG squads at 100m? What have you noticed?

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Anyone miss me yet? Well, it is nice to see BTS weigh in, and I guess all that is left to say, is that I too look forward to seeing CM2.

Hello to all the CMer's out their still in the comfort of their own homes and not trapped at a hallway internet stand in an Army dorm. I am playing unmodded CM on my laptop when I get the chance. It's not as bad as it sounds....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please already.

When I was in the service we didnt have any hallway internet stands. In fact, there wasnt any internet either. we played pong on TV and we liked it dammit!

Unmodded CM on a laptop. War is hell huh? Canadian weekend warriors make me ill.

Lewis

What isn't true? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your statement only holds true when comparing US Rifle 44/45 vs pure SMG squads. This is because the pure SMG squads don't have a MG42.

When I talk about SMG squads, I'm refering to any squad type that is primarily armed with SMGs. So let's do some comparisons.

FP at 100m

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>US Rifle 44: 105

British Rifle: 89

VG Heavy SMG: 132

Fusillier: 106

Gerbils: 119

Rifle 44: 95

Now lets look at pt cost of each unit:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>US Rifle 44: 34

British Rifle: 29

VG Heavy SMG: 31

Fusillier: 29

Gerbils: 32

Rifle 44: 29

So, any German SMG heavy squad with a MG42 can outshoot US 44 at 100m. And they all cost less to boot. British rifle squads get toasted by just about anything.

Now, you may say "but the US squads are bigger, so they can still wear down the smaller German squads quicker". This is generally true, but it ignores the fact that the German player will have more squads than the US player assuming he spent the same number of points on infantry. It also doesn't really apply to British squads either.

Being as the large majority of infantry squad vs infantry squad firefights take place at 100m or less, this is a significant factor.

So do I open fire at 100m? Assuming I don't have pure SMG squads with no MG42, the answer is yes, unless I think I can lure them in even closer, then I'll wait. The results are usually quite good.

BTW, looking at the figures I posted, is it any wonder hardly anyone takes Heer Rifle '44?

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

Point is still there, SMG squads are only effective in the sub 40m range. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was fooling around a little more and noticed than this isn't quite true of pure SMG squads either.

FP at 80m

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>VG SMG: 143

US Rifle 44: 139

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

Oh please already.

When I was in the service we didnt have any hallway internet stands. In fact, there wasnt any internet either. we played pong on TV and we liked it dammit!

Unmodded CM on a laptop. War is hell huh? Canadian weekend warriors make me ill.

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't have anything nice/slash/intelligent to say, Lewis baby, why do you continue to flap yer gums? Pity your knowledge of Pong is also your basis for those tough tactical questions...

In the 1950s my uncle's barracks had a phone in the company common area, it was shared by several hundred people in his company and staff attached to the base (Good old Fort Jackson). No TV, the rec tent had nothing (and it was still a tent) and only the PX had air conditioning. Most people sent telegrams at the PX to loved ones.

When you think about it though, now days, it makes perfect sense to use e-mail and give Internet connections to soldiers. A lot cheaper than anything else, and it is how people communicate. Having a company laptop is a great idea, sort of like the company phone of my uncle's day.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kampfgruppe_Commander:

Pity your knowledge of Pong is also your basis for those tough tactical questions...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I also picked up a few tactical answers in the service. Uh, which service were you in? From your pic in your bio, one that wears cheap wool nazi uniforms I guess.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

In the 1950s my uncle's barracks had a phone in the company common area, it was shared by several hundred people in his company and staff attached to the base (Good old Fort Jackson). No TV, the rec tent had nothing (and it was still a tent) and only the PX had air conditioning. Most people sent telegrams at the PX to loved ones.

When you think about it though, now days, it makes perfect sense to use e-mail and give Internet connections to soldiers. A lot cheaper than anything else, and it is how people communicate. Having a company laptop is a great idea, sort of like the company phone of my uncle's day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly the same thing; even a couple minutes on the phone, or an email a week from home, can really help out a guy's morale.