Can infantry be "crunched"?

I've been meaning to ask this question, but now just getting around to it. If you run a tank over an enemy infantry position, will the infantry unit take casulties? I've never seen this happen but didn't know if anyone else had. Just curious...

TOWEL.JPG

------------------

WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY HILLTOPPERS - 2000-01 SUN BELT CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS!!!

Hello,

I intentionally ran my Sherman over infantry in a foxhole figuring that would kill them, but it did not. So you have to shoot them, driving over them will not work.

I have learned since then that getting to close to infantry is dangerous gernades and other infantryman nasties can easily immobilize of knockout a tank your better off sitting back and blasting them.

Thx

Unfortunatly the game does not model units being run over. Actually in reality it was a tactic used alot to "squish" if you will people in foxholes and such. Also being near a friendly tank was dangersous since you would never know if it was gonna back up or swing on you not to mention the concusion from the gun firing!!!! Ouch! brings back memories of being to close to a M60A3 and its 105!!!!!!

Ok, thanks...

If you've ever seen that German movie "Stalingrad", it has a T-34 spinning around on a couple of hapless Deutsh soldats in a fox hole. That's what made me think about it...

------------------

WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY HILLTOPPERS - 2000-01 SUN BELT CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS!!!

Well there was that incident on the Tenaru River (?) on Guadalcanal. Seems the yanks figured out the japanese had no AT capability so they just lined 'em up close together and went for a drive. Back and forth. Back and forth... Yuck. eek.gif

Ah, here it is.

The Japanese continued their futile assault until sunrise. Vandegrift, seeing that his defenses were solid, ordered a counterstroke, sending a reserve battalion upriver to cross over and hit the Japanese from the flank and rear.

The Japanese had fought with reckless courage during the night, but had suffered terribly, and when the counterattack hit them, they broke and ran. Marine aircraft strafed and bombed them as they fled up the beach. Early in the afternoon Vandegrift's encirclement trapped most of them in the coconut grove.

Their position was hopeless, but they would not surrender. Vandegrift decided he had to simply exterminate them, and sent five M-3 light tanks across the sandspit into the coconut grove.

The tanks pushed through the grove, striking down the Japanese with canister and machine guns or simply running them down until, as Vandegrift wrote, "the rear of the tanks looked like meat grinders." The Japanese managed to blow a track off one the the tanks, but the others simply closed ranks with the disabled vehicle, rescued the crew, and resumed their slaughter.

------------------

"Za Rodentia!"

[This message has been edited by Forever Babra (edited 03-10-2001).]

If your insistent on trying this trick to the Germans in CM's timeframe its gonna be quite risky, with the frequency of Panzerfausts found among German infantry. Oh, and if you haven't properly identified the type of infantry, better hope they're not engineers...BOOM!!!

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Originally posted by Hilltopper:

If you've ever seen that German movie "Stalingrad", it has a T-34 spinning around on a couple of hapless Deutsh soldats in a fox hole. That's what made me think about it...

Didn't that same movie have a scene where a German tank drives over a Russian foxhole, and a Russian soldier jumps out of the foxhole and puts a magnetic mine on the engine cover of the tank? I would think a tank driving over a foxhole would be much more dangerous for the tank than for the infantry. But I guess it depends on the depth of the foxhole.

I read somewhere that the Russians experimented with training dogs with magnetic mines attached to them. The idea, of course, was to have the dog run under the German tank and blow itself and the tank up. I think the Russians had a problem with the dogs running for Russian tanks and thus ended the program.

I wish I could remember the name of the book...I think it was something like "Strange facts about WW2" or something along that line.

------------------

Guest Michael emrys

It would seem that during Barbarossa, before the German infantry had much in the way of effective AT weapons, The Sovs did a lot of crunching. Likely the Germans did too, but I have heard less on that subject so far.

Michael

Guest MantaRay

Poor tactic for an AFV to even get close enough to infantry to crush them. I would rather save the tank than kill a few infantry that way.

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

I think depending on the war, the theatre and the combatants, the nature of the fighting already sees tanks in amongst enemy infantry. In such cases, running over infantry is probably easier (and probably safer) than sitting around trying to shoot them.

------------------

where's the BAR? – ColonelSquirrel

Where's the Bar? This is the most important and critical question I've ever seen on a thread – Rex_Bellator