Want Accurate Kill Totals!

Dar

I know this has been discussed before, but I have never been satisfied by any answer, and I refuse to be until it is put in:

I want accurate kill totals!

This has aggravated me time and time again. I can understand not knowing the accurate totals during the battle. That only makes sense with the Fog of War settings set to "Full".

However, after plastering the bejesus out of some woods with a 150mm arty spotter, seeing dead bodies in the woods as a result of that fire, and seeing partially identified three-figure units be reduced to two figures as a result of that arty fire, and to be told at the end of the battle that that arty spotter is credited with the destruction of one mortar is insulting!

I've read arguments before that "it's realistic not too know just exactly how many kills a unit has." Yes, I agree--when it's during the battle! This is still a game, however, and at the end, I want to know what I mowed down and what mowed me down. A game is all about keeping score, isn't it?

------------------

Dar

Guest Rex_Bellator

Hehehe, my first ever topic which I posted on the board is back once more. How the time has flown.

Basically the outcome I got (apart from loads of 'Do a search' demands!) was that it is not going to happen but BTS are aware that lot's of people would like to see it happen.

Personally I hope that we don't see BTS having to do still more reprogramming on CMBO but crack on and put it into CM2. I think it's something that we can easily live with in the meanwhile.

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Personally I hope that we don't see BTS having to do still more reprogramming on CMBO but crack on and put it into CM2. I think it's something that we can easily live with in the meanwhile.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we should all go on suggesting improvements and let BTS decide whether they go into a CM1 patch or are saved for CM2. We get a better product either way.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Standard note incorporated into After Action reports of the 743rd Tank Battalion: "More enemy tanks, equipment, etc., have been destroyed by Battalion action than totaled here. Difficulties in securing complete battlefield evidence to support additional claims interfere with full accuracy of count. This should be considered a minimum compilation."

Cheers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I want accurate kill totals!

This has aggravated me time and time again. I can understand not knowing the accurate totals during the battle. That only makes sense with the Fog of War settings set to "Full".

However, after plastering the bejesus out of some woods with a 150mm arty spotter, seeing dead bodies in the woods as a result of that fire, and seeing partially identified three-figure units be reduced to two figures as a result of that arty fire, and to be told at the end of the battle that that arty spotter is credited with the destruction of one mortar is insulting!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, and I feel very strongly that this must be rectified in an otherwise BRILLIANT GAME!

Can this be rectified currently, or is it too much trouble coding it in CM, BTS?

An answer will be much appreciated.

IIRC, the "accurate" number of kills cannot be included in the battle before it is finished because they are not determined until AFTER the battle has been completed. A randomized percentage of the total casualties (within a certain range, of course) become KIA, while the rest are listed as WIA.

Another point to remember, is that a commander will often not even have an accurate tally until after the battle. Besides, there is no functional difference between KIA and WIA as far as game mechanics are concerned. I agree however, that an estimated tally of "men out of action" should be available during play.

Cheers

------------------

"Oooh, tough crowd. A real bunch of nihilists.

Let them eat chads..." - Lawyer (who else!?)

Mannheim:

I understand what you're saying about a percentage being considered KIA at the end. However, I'm only concerned with the effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) of the firing weapon or unit in question.

Perhaps I should rephrase "Kill Total" as "Casualty Total". The point is I want to see what destruction a unit has accomplished.

Jgdpzr:

I agree 100%. This is a minor gripe in an otherwise excellent game, and I wouldn't want CM2 delayed merely for this one fix.

However, I feel it is something sorely needed and, to use Program Manager speak, "it detracts from the user experience".

(Suddenly I feel dirty after using PM speak... I'm going to go wash my hands!)

And as an aside--

I'm aware this has been covered before, as stated in my original post. I've posted on it myself months ago. However, I've never been satisfied by any of the answers. It's a game, after all, and knowing these things at the end of the battle is a way of keeping score.

------------------

Dar