BTS, CM2 Fix Request: 2cm Flakvierling

Following a gentle chiding from Tiger, who pointed out that all models are hard coded in response to my inquiry whether the German quad 20 could be resized, I now appeal directly to

you in my quest for improvements.

Please rescale this gun and rework its appearance so it is no longer as tall as an 88

and so that it looks far more authentic than it does now. Compared to many other guns in the game, this one simply isn't up to snuff.

I believe I read some time ago that there simply wasn't time to properly render the gun

before CM1 was released (something also true of the U.S. 90mm AA gun), but that the physical dimensions were properly modeled even though the graphic was oversized. Do I have this right?

The Eastern Front saw considerable use of the 2cm quad, not only in its current forms, but also in armored and unarmored halftrack mounts. It would be great if the weapon in the game looked better and was properly sized.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah, and while they're at it they can show AA flexible MGs on the vehicles that have them. It's alway bothered me a little that all these Shermans have .50 cal MGs on their turrets but you can't see them.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

Guest KwazyDog

Actually John I wasnt aware there was a problem with its scale but it could have been something that got missed near the end of development.

I will look into it when the time comes. wink.gif

Dan

Guest Germanboy

I think the problem is not so much comparative height, when looking at the 88 Flak and the 20mm quad, but more width. I dug out some pictures that show that the 20mm quad with shield was not that small. Unfortunately the books contain no data on height of the guns, otherwise I would have posted that.

20mm.jpg

A quad 20mm in winter camo at the Eastern front. (From Waffenarsenal 142, Werner Müller 'Die 20mm Falk im Einsatz)

88tommies.jpg

The Royal Artillery firing a real gun biggrin.gif Left bank of the Maas, north of Aachen, giving Jerry a taste of his own medicine. 172 Battery, 58 LAA, RA, 31.12.1944. They were operating a whole battery.

88ss.jpg

The rightful owners, Waffen SS using a shielded 88mm Flak in the Caen area, Normandy 1944.

Both 88 pictures from Janusz Piekalkiewicz 'Die 8,8cm Flak im Erdeinsatz'

Judging from the height of the guys standing next to the guns, the 88 barrel would be roughly 5.5-6ft (assuming average height of the soldiers) while the gas retractor was higher than that. The shields should be about the same width, and the 20mm is at most the height of the barrel of the 88. So the difference is not that huge, but noticeable.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 02-05-2001).]

Guest KwazyDog

Illo, thats not the gun site, but actually part of the gun mechanism (A counterweighted Id guess).

Like I mentioned above though, I will be sure to check out the model when we get to it in CM2 smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

Isn't Andreas comparing the quad 20 to the 8.8cm? Your screen shot from CM doesn't include the 8.8cm.

Yeeees...but look at the first post in this thread.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Simon Fox:

Goodness gracious Andreas, captured 88s? Yes please!

Firing indirect airburst too by the look of it, whatever next? smile.gif

You are not insinuating I selected this picture for a reason, are you? The horror, the horror! My motives are pure, it simply was the best possible picture. No honest! Airbursts seemed to have happened frequently, and MT fuses were standard issue and their use was covered in the manual, from having a quick glance at Piekalkiewicz. BTW, the US army published a handbook on how to operate the 88 biggrin.gif.

The comparison was made witht the 88, implying that the 20mm quad was much smaller. I believe the pictures show quite well that yes, it was smaller, but it certainly was not tiny. It was a sizeable gun, especially with the shield.

BTW - the gunner in the model is sitting on the gun, in which case it would be a bit higher than him, I think. I look for a picture with a sitting gunner.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.