Individual trees, or simply "woods"?

Does anyone know exactly how CM deals with trees? Does it matter where the tree sprites are, or does the "woods" area provide an equal amount of cover? I am asking because I remember reading in the CM manual that what you see is not exactly the way the programming says it is, but I also read somewhere that a blank spot (treeless area) in woods doesn't provide full cover. Could someone please clarify this?

I'm not the expert, but I had the impression that the individual tree sprites were so much window dressing, however it matters very much how far into the tree terrain that a unit is placed. It seems that the closer to the edge that the unit is, the less cover and concealment is provided. I'll be curious to see if others support this or not.

Goz has it right-- it's simply "woods" and there's some function for cover that depends on how much you go through. It would be way too much work for the game engine to deal with individual trees on a game of this scale.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

yup, that's right. press shift T and see more tree sprites. they provide no additional protection...

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Originally posted by Denizen:

... because I remember reading in the CM manual that what you see is not exactly the way the programming says it is...

As you point out, what you see on the screen is only a representation of the model used to calculate the action.

It doesn't matter if there is a "blank spot" in a woods area, since CM treats the whole area as "woods".

The position of the "tree graphics" have no impact on cover or LOS, they're there just to show you that this certain area is supposed to represent "woods".

Hope that helps.

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

This isnt on topic but i dont feel like making up a new thread-

ok this sounds stupid but..theres all this talk about how american tanks can go through bocage and germans cant-yet when I go to create a scenario I cant find the bocage "sprite" or whatever

Please help!

I had the same question with Denizen, now that I have an answer, here comes another question:

I can get a LOS from behind light woods through to the other side some of the time. Since it doesnt matter where the sprites are, how can I determine this? How can I know if I am behind cover in a particular position (that I want my tank go, for example) from behind light woods?

About the bocage question: Why is there a difference between allies and axis? I would expect a 40 ton Panther speeding at 20 mph towards a bocage to get through it no matter what... but it doesnt..

Well, its true that first concerns for the impact on industry on environment started in Germany, but hey, this is war smile.gif

thanks!

Originally posted by Canuck:

This isnt on topic but i dont feel like making up a new thread-

ok this sounds stupid but..theres all this talk about how american tanks can go through bocage and germans cant-yet when I go to create a scenario I cant find the bocage "sprite" or whatever

Please help!

oh crap u still have that problem? at the scenario editor there should be a down pointing arrow to click that brings up wall, bocage and hedge tiles...

------------------

russellmz,

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

I had the same question with Denizen, now that I have an answer, here comes another question:

I can get a LOS from behind light woods through to the other side some of the time. Since it doesnt matter where the sprites are, how can I determine this? How can I know if I am behind cover in a particular position (that I want my tank go, for example) from behind light woods?

u pretty much have to wing it

About the bocage question: Why is there a difference between allies and axis? I would expect a 40 ton Panther speeding at 20 mph towards a bocage to get through it no matter what... but it doesnt..

/B]

basically, a bocage is pretty solid...the allies developed metal prongs to bust through the bocages since they were on 'o.

the germs, being on 'd never had to charge forward and break through bocage country...

------------------

russellmz,

However...

Sometimes there are "blank" spots within wooded areas. The seem to appear almost exclusively near slopes or other rapid changes in elevation. If you pass the LOS tool over a patch of wood in that kind of place you will probably find small areas that just called slope and not "wooded slope" or something similar.

Watch out for those as they do not offer the same cover as woods, wooded slope etc.

M.

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

Well, a bocage is a wall on wich trees and plants grow. This provides a very dense structure, where tanks have a very hard time getting over. Now, the allies stuck a very large knive-like thingy on their tanks, so they could slice trough the thing , and go trough it. The Germans, on the other hand, didn't do this, so it was practicly impossible for them to go trough those bocages.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Gilthoniel A Elbereth!

A Elbereth Gilthoniel

o menel palan-diriel,

le nallon sí di'nguruthos!

A tiro nin, Fanuilos!