why slow turrets?

First let me say that I'm by no means an expert on the subject. The Panzer IV and the Panther have pretty reasonable turet speeds. The ones with real slow turrets are the Tiger and King Tiger. The Tiger I is an early war design and the King Tiger a later war one, but I'd be willing to bet that they both have much heavier turrets than their contemporaries. I also belive that one of the Panzer IV models has a hand cranked turret which is much slower. I'd be interested to see how the Tigers' turrets speeds compare to those of the Russian heavy tanks. The Allies don't really have anything in the same category.

CuriH

History Channel had a special on Shermans last week. Now I don't know what model they used (sure looked like a 75mm though), but it had a hand-cranked turret. Why was it faster? I could guess weight, design, stronger gunners, greasier ball bearings...but I don't know for sure.

------------------

Woot! - Maximus2k

Stick around while the clown who is sick does the trick of disaster.

The New CessPool

IIRC part of the reason is cost in terms of resources. Germany was being stretched to it's limits in materials. You already know of the shortages of slinging tungsten around for tank rounds. Tungsten had to be used for factories. Same can be said in tank construction. It's not that they didn't have the technology, it's just that implementing hydraulic and electrical turrets would be more expensive to a stretched industry. The later version of the PzKpfwIV is a case in point where they opted to leave out an assisted turret and made it a hand crank turret.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

That's where I saw that, History Channel, I think the show was Battle Stations: Sherman, it looked like a period training film and the gunner was hand cranking the turret of a Sherman. Maybe that was an emergency crank only, I know modern Tanks have that in case the main traverse goes out. Anyone know?

Pvt.Tom

Originally posted by Pvt.Tom:

That's where I saw that, History Channel, I think the show was Battle Stations: Sherman, it looked like a period training film and the gunner was hand cranking the turret of a Sherman. Maybe that was an emergency crank only, I know modern Tanks have that in case the main traverse goes out. Anyone know?

Pvt.Tom

Correct. The hand crank on an M1 is REALLY slow (at least compared to powered mode!) and will wear you out in a hurry. We also had a Chaffee out in front of BN HQ. We tried the hand crank in it, and it was (obviously) much easier to crank, even after sitting idle for 45 years.

I would also guess that the slow turret wasn't necessarily such a hindrance in real life than it appears to be in CM. Frankly speaking the tacAI isn't very smart with turret rotation and makes fast turret speed a very desirable feature for any tank. Fortunately this seems to be compensated by appropriate pointcosts smile.gif

Ari

Guest Mikey D

M10 TDs suffered from an unbalanced turret (the reason for those changing rear turret counterweight types). If the vehicle was on any kind of a slope it could greatly hinder turret rotation. Ditto the Panther. Late Panther Gs had the added problem of NO turret motor! All hand cranked for those.

The turret drive on the Sherman was just about the only thing the crews liked about the damned machine, and veteran tankers became quick-draw experts. I recall the survivor of a 'friendly fire' encounter with a Sherman (a Brit AC) was amazed how the Sherman got 2 shots into him before he had a chance respond!