Vote: how many waypoints do you plot for a 90-degree corner?

CM vehicles seem to (realistically) pause/slow down while turning - the bigger the turn, the longer the pause. An AFV doing a fast-move down a road can be a sitting duck while it slowwwwly turns on the spot to negotiate a 90-degree corner.

Based on this, I've always plotted multiple waypoints for a 90-degree corner, so that each course change is only (say) 30 degrees. This got me wondering - how many waypoints do other people use per corner? Obviously, the more you have, the smoother the motion, but the more you reveal your tendencies as an anal-retentive control freak desperate for the smallest possible advantage in the game biggrin.gif

For the record, based on a right-angle 90-degree turn counting as one waypoint, I use three or four, depending on the width of the road. How about you?

Same for me, one waypoint at 45 degrees. I usually do it for hunt, move, and fast move though.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Originally posted by Jarmo:

Usually 1, sometimes up to 3 if I think the second gained really matters..

The same. I'd add the word 'especially' after the number 3

------------------

If your enemy comes to speak bearing a sword, open your door to him and speak, but keep your own sword at hand.

If he comes to you empty-handed, greet him the same way.

But if he comes to you bearing gifts, stand on your walls and cast stones down on him.

Guest wwb_99

Depends on the situation. If I am moving out of LOS, 1. If I am moving in LOS, well, you want to avoid intersections anyways. I always attempt to at least angle the business end towards the enemy, which usually means turning outside of LOS and coming on at an angle.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

I use lots of waypoints for all move orders. This is not so much to save time on turns, but to keep flexibility for move orders that extend into the next turn. The more points on the line, the more points I will have next turn to fine tune the move order.

If on a road, I try to keep on it which limits the flexibility of how to round out the corners. I'm paranoid after bogging down so often.

------------------

Air Defense: Shoot 'em down, sort 'em out on the ground (AKA - if it flies, it dies)

>>Also I have heard that high speeds over

>>questionable terrain can immobilize vehicles.

Even in the relatively few scenarios I've played so far, I've immobilized at least two tanks by running them offroad at high speed. One was definitely in open ground; I think the other was too but I'm not sure.

I use 2 waypoints of 45^ each for a 90^ turn. I have made some racing sceanrios where maintaining speed is very important, and this seems to work the best. Using more waypoints doesn't seem to make a difference except in the amount of finagling you as the player have to do.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Guest Martin Cracauer

I always use many waypoints.

Foremost for the reason that you have more flexibility when re-editing unreached ones in the next turn.

I rarely use 90 degree turns at all, except when I want to stay on the road and there is a 90 degrees crossing I want to follow. I that case, I enter the curve at the outer edge of the approaching road (like a race driver) and when no sight-blocking things tell me otherwise, come out of the curve at the inner edge of the new road, also like a race driver.

That makes most time at best angles towards new threats that are along the new path and you also come out of the curve at higher speed than doing an even turn. Although the overall time for the turn may not be least, the speed your vehicle at the end is highest.

The whole manoeuvre usually takes at least 5 waypoints.

But as I said, I often have more for rediting flexibility.

I don't know what the maximum angle is that a CMBO vehicle can do without slowing down seriously, but say it is 45 degrees.

So, if you device a 90 degree turn into two 45 degree points, that may be sufficient to keep your vehicle at speed (didn't test). But if you have to re-edit the points in the next turn, you will end up with one angle being bigger and one much smaller that 45 degrees and your speed-keeping plan is doomed.

As for bogging down, I never had this in non-mud, no-snow ground conditions. I know that CMBO models that treads may be thrown at random without the tank getting hit, but I am not sure CMBO couples the probability with high-speed sharp turns.