How do I get out of minefields?

HELP!!! My squads have stumbled across minefield that happens to be RIGHT where I sent them to go! They are hiding right in the middle of it. If I wanted to get them out with minimal casualties, what are some precautions that I can do? I don't have a engineer units nearby, so I am screwed in that category. What would be the best speed, get the hell out or walk cautiously? I would appreciate any feedback.

P.S. I've already considered bending over and kissing my nards goodbye. ;)

Matt M.

De Oppresso Liber

This is why mines need to be revisited. Everyohe should have the mindset of epoch.

OH **** A MINEFIELD!!!!

Not Mr. Johnson's. YA WHATEVER!!

Not that I don't understand Mr. J's position, it just that I would like to see the fear of GOD (or Berli) in someones eyes when they do stumble into a mine field.

Unless Kingfish is being sarcastic as your opponent, he is a bit off the mark.

Arty does not damage minefields in CM.

BTW, mine effectiveness goes way up when viewed as part of a combined arms defense.

A squad hits a minefield on the edge of the woods he intends to attack you from.

He takes a hit, then you lay down some MG, tank, and/or mortar fire, and watch that attack get broken up real fast.

The enmy suffers quick morale "hits". First, the initial stumble, then some fire, then they are pinned or worse and try to get away, and the morale damaged unit "forgets" about the mines and falls back into them to suffer another morale hit. Soon, they are babbling idiots.

The units that are behind the "detonator" will go around the minefield. Hopefully your support units have the bypass route covered, and if you did it well, this bypass route is in the open. Units in the open take grievous damage.

In summary, place mines in likely enemy jump off points, like near buildings or in woods or on the edge of a coverinf depression, just beyond your MRL. Cover the minefields and the bypass routes with heavy weapons. Keep your AFVs hulldown and in LOS of the same. The minefields will incur greater vulnerability on the attackers. Your defense is in essence magnified.

On the defense, mines are my friend. They do the job they are meant to do.

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]

I really did not give an answer to how to get out of minefields.

1. If you are not under fire, and do not expect to be, plot a crawl or sneak.

2. If under fire, you are suffering twice the likelyhood of bad morale effects. You need to pin the supporting units shooting at you or throw out some smoke, and get out fast. You can bet your A** that if the defender is laying down weapons fire, the arty is soon to follow up. Arty fire is most effective on pinned uints, they stay around longer to die.

3. If 2 is the situation, perhaps your best bet is to smoke the area and launch a hasty attack, for your foe, if he is really good, has the rear of your position covered, and running away will cause a slaughter.

(I typically plot arty fire BEHIND the minefield position for 2 reasons, 1 is a good opponent sends out a scout squad or half squad first, so the main body is behind him. Secondly, if I made the position untenable enough from the front, a withdrawal causes them to flee into a killing zone.)

Poor minefield use happens when they are put out to cause casualties only.

Good minefield employment is a combined arms approach.

Something I have not deeply investigated is the effect leaders have on mine "evasion".

Does leadership have such a role in CM?

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]

I could just picture it now...

Click... Vet Arty spotter, 155mm...Click...Target...ClickFriendly rifle squad...Click...Vet Arty spotter, 105mm...Click...Target...Click...Friendly rifle squad...

Ezmartini "Gee, I hope this works. That Kingfish guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about"

Geez, Kingfish and securityguard! I've been on this forum almost as long as you have, and I'm treated like a n00b! smile.gif (member #4281, it's those damn PENG CHALLENGES! ;)) That was pretty funny though, Kingfish.

Matt M.

De Oppresso Liber