Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Of note: CM mentioned on Apple's website

Just thought you'd be interested in this:

Apple is doing a feature of WWII gaming on the Macintosh, and mentions CM! Here's the location...

WWII on the Mac

Unfortunately, they give much more press to WWII Online. The little screenshot of CM isn't that great, and to top it off, the picture is mis-captioned as "Close Combat". Ugh! Still, they give links to battlefront.com, quote Steve a bit, and recognize it as a great game.

It's a start...

-Joshik

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzerman:

Good to here that Apple noted CM. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now if they would only update their RAVE extension so that one could actually play Combat Mission under MacOS X...

The mistake on the caption is pathetic!!!

I really think it would be great if CM would actually run under OS X. I don't have the setup to try but if some one did a firm answer would be good.

Anyone know what the status on Mac support in CMBB is? Last I heard Mac users were left out because BTS said it was too much work to change to OpenGL.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

CM making the rounds of the Apple websites was how many Mac players heard of the game. Is that how a lot of the long time Mac heads first came here?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found the OTR and AS demos on MacAddict CDs, and from there I discovered CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Found the OTR and AS demos on MacAddict CDs, and from there I discovered CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw OTR advertised in AH's The General long, long ago. I got it and thought it was kind of fun. A year or so later I got AS! About the same time, I got on the internet and started hanging out on BTS' board. A little later AH and BTS announced that CM (actually at that point it was tentatively called Computer Squad Leader) was in the works. Then BTS and AH parted company over the design of the game, and the name Combat Mission was established. A little later, BTS and some other independent designers formed Battlefront and created the current board. Except for various occasions when my computer was disfunctional, I've been with them all that time.

Michael

I saw an article on "Mac Gamers Ledge" about ASL coming to the Mac. After that there were few updates until Battlefront announced that instead of ASL, it was going to be Combat Mission (and developed on a Mac)!

Seems so long ago now...

I saw a note about a 3D WWII wargame on Macentral or MGL. Went to the site and began reading all the posts on the forum from beginning to end (mind you this was in June of 1999 so the number of posts was much lower TG). I preordered in August of 1999 as I recall. When the demo came out I sent out quite a few notes to among others Macaddict and hope I influenced them to include it on their CD.

You know whats funny are the parallels between the history of CM and GI Combat. Both were at larger publishing houses and suffered a falling out over design or market appropriateness. I hope that GIC eventually enjoys a similar success, even if I will not be among the buyers of it.

I think Apple has fixed the caption on the screenshot for CMBO. I wish they would include the fact that there is a scenario editor and the quickbattle generator.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: kmead ]