Video Card Help - 3D Prophet II GTS Pro

Sorry, I posted this on the TEch board but no one answered.

With all these new Hi-Res graphics, looks like I need to upgrade. smile.gif

Is Guillemot 3D Prophet II GTS Pro 64MB a good card?? (it is getting good reviews but I want to hear from this group)

If so, it says I need a AGP slot. I have a PIII 866mghz, do you think I have that slot?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

------------------

Jeff Newell

TankDawg

I have heard good things about that card. Esentially, all the Nvidia cards are tpretty similar, quality wise. Look for something with high speed RAM (6ns or better is good, 4.5ns is really good). The Guillemot is always good stuff though.

As far as an AGP slot, you probably do. What kind of PC is it? Where did you get it from, and what is the model?

Jeff Heidman

The 3D prophet II is a damn good card, however I have noticed better color in GeForce cards from ASUS and Creative. Can't be a driver issue as I tried the official detonator 3 (ver 6.31) drivers with all 3 of these. I finally opted for the Annihilator II Ultra.

Just a word of caution - check your motherboard manual and the required specification carefully. I recently bought a Hercules Geforce card and when I couldn't get it to work contacted their Tech. Support people. It turned out that it required an AGP v2 slot and I only had a v1. Luckily I was able to return it and got a Riva TNT instead (which only took me 4 hours to get working).

TankDawg, for a good low-cost card try Leadtek. Their stuff performs just about as well as everybody else's GF2 cards (because they're all pretty much NVidia reference boards with different extra bits)

As always, get as much info as you can. Don't place too much stock on "benchmark numbers," as many of these are based on synthetic tests that model things that CM might not tell a PC to do. Also, many of the "real world" tests are based on frame rates in FPS games (the industry can't seem to get beyond "faster is always better) so any card that scores "fast enough" in the Q3 test will be MORE than fast enough for CM. What you should be looking for is color quality, more/less jaggies, and (perhaps most important) compatibility, driver stability and future support. If you have a buddy with a Creative Labs card, and another with an ASUS, spend some time going back and forth between their homes, looking at the two doing the same stuff. Or, if they're willing, have them get together and compare side-side. If you can get them playing CM, so much the better!

I have a Matrox G400, and it sometimes shows slowdown if there's lots of crap happening, but even stock-standard CM looks great, and with the res set to 1024x768 I almost never get bad jaggies.

DjB

Well, just installed it. PC running really well. Other games look great. But.....

When I go through my video options set up for CM, CM crashes and I get:

"Program Error

Could Not Initialize Direct3D Graphics"

frown.gif

I can play the game in 640x800, but the whole reason I got the card was to run it in higher resolutions.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

------------------

Jeff Newell

TankDawg