Tanks loves more to shoot infantry?

I tried out Combat mission in MP (wow, actually first time) and in first game, I did roll out my Tiger on a road towards enemy two enemy tanks, which were ~220 meters ahead, then there were bunch of infantry 35-40 degree on its left side.

When it parked hulldown, it begun to shoot the infantry instead, while took sometime for it to notice & turn back to enemy tanks after they opened fire on it.

In next game from that, I was flanking with a panther, a friend sent Jumbo to counter it and I counted on it that it comes around the house, so I stopped my panther on the road, just a slightly downhill, exactly 130 meters away and set ambush marker to there where jumbo would be first seen after it comes around the building.

Instead it was all the time having fun sightning the infantry 35-40 degrees on the left side, ~150 meters away. (about 60-70 meters right from the ambush marker)

The jumbo came and Panther did nothing but faced the infantry and after Jumbo had got two shots off from 129 meters, Panther got shot off just before Jumbo fired third one. (both going ricochets again)

I just find bit interseting that those slow german tanks keeps hosing infantry on the side when theres obviously more visible tank dead ahead.

anyone else with this kind of problem?

(oh yeah, my panzershrecks, bazookas and panzerfausts works beatiful! my best AT toys..)

There have been a lot of threads on this BB about tanks and the targets they chose. Many similiar to yours. Most of them seemed to stop when the last patch (1.12 I think) came out. Whether that was because the patch fixed things, or folks just realized it wasn't going to change, I'm not sure. I think the patch made some improvements in this area, and most folks were then mostly satisfied. But as I said, I kind of lost track of that topic. At any rate - make sure you are using that patch. I don't think you should have to hide targets from your tanks with smoke so that they will target other tanks rather than infantry, but that advice might work, however impractical it might be. It may also have been that the infantry in question had bazookas or schrecks, as I believe there is a 'threat' analysis in the game that might have made your tank target something that seemed of lessor importance than it actually was. Good luck - in the end there are some minor aspects of the game that are frustrating, but they are pretty minor. Wait till you've had that tank commander do some really good stuff, (which they will), and you'll forget about their occaisional 'mistake'

rlh1138

I feel your pain. I had a King Tiger decide infantry was more of a threat than a Sherman.

Even after 3 defelctions the thing still did not acknowledge the Sherman. On the 4th shot a sherman waxed a King Tiger LOL!

The worst part about the whole thing is not less than aminute before they were exchanging shots at 900 meters. The sherman threw up a smoke screen and the KT just forgot about the sherman LOL!

I now use the double panther attack. With infantry support to keep those pesky infantry from distracting the main objective of my assualt tanks

"To kill enemy Armor!"

Gen

Closest PIAT (he was brit) was hiding at the another end of a map ;)

That infantry bunch was just receiving the merry 81mm mortar strike.. hehe.

It was buttoned, although, im just wondering that shouldn't tank be clearly visible bit over 200 meters ahead sitting on top of the hill, rather than infantry in woods and buildings?

Because of that, I almost lost first game - luckily after emptying one panzershreck crew, the second one got the sherman leave their tank.

Then I saw no option and assaulted with all my infantry against the churchill, running over *very* clear area for shooting. (first down the hill and then up the hill to churchill)

Yet I had enough infantry to secure couple buildings, kill bren carrier and manage to drive his troops away.

(yay, I won)

Although, I still think I could see a tank on top of hill on a road dead ahead, rather than infantry aside at same distance.

How about pre-targeting?

You can only target when you see, why not to make it possible to pre-target, so you could tell the crew to wait for some unit to appear in their views unless critical danger occurs.

> It was buttoned, although, im just

> wondering that shouldn't tank be clearly

> visible bit over 200 meters ahead sitting > on top of the hill, rather than infantry

> in woods and buildings?

Distance isn't an issue so much as which would be the first target the tank would see as it rotates, A buttoned tank only sees a very small window in front of it, so if it's turning from left to right and it sees the infantry before it gets all the way over to the tank on the right, it's understandable for it to stop and shoot.

Don't know if this fits 100% with what happened to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fishu:

How about pre-targeting?

You can only target when you see, why not to make it possible to pre-target, so you could tell the crew to wait for some unit to appear in their views unless critical danger occurs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK, you can pre-target. Just target the enemy unit and a red line should "stick" even if it's out of LOS. The manual says that your unit should then attack the unit when it moves into LOS (assuming there are no higher priority targets it needs to engage).

I've done this, but it's hard to tell how well it works.

Zipper

Hey Fishu,

Aren't you the guy who did the cool WWII mods for Rogue Spear and Urban Ops? We must lobby BTS to abandon the wav file sharing on CM2. Then you will be able to join the ranks of talented mod makers, whom I depend on to enhance my enjoyment of this great game. Welcome to Combat Mission Fishu. John

Zipper,

Now when reminding me, I tried something like that few times long time ago and I didn't see much difference myself..

(dumb tanks were still confused about the target order)

I could give it an another try, now after many new versions.

I think im in need of restudying after all smile.gif

too bad theres no plan list available ;)

"after done that, do this and then.." (Well, just literally in short form)

Since those AI's are quite stupid on a long term.

Would be cool to program your own AI behavior for a unit. (some simple tasks like who to shoot first, where from to shoot targets more likely, instead of turning to another direction, just if another side is covered by another unit etc...)

John Kelly,

I've been doing those yes.

Though, I didn't understand your meaning?

Either due to my average english skills ..

So could you say that again? smile.gif

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Fishu ]

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: Fishu ]