Lights in CM2

I've just been rereading Beevor's "Stalingrad" and it made me wonder whether headlights could be modelled for the game. You should be able to switch them on and off, so should the AI, but they should be very vulnerable to any kind of fire.

Would appreciate any comments.

That's a pretty cool idea! Imagine headlights, along with lights from random building windows at night... in fog... It would look very cool, no doubt about it.

If I could ever get my vid drivers figured out again, my machine could handle it, but folks running down in the 500's and 400's would hate it...

Would probably require the graphics engine to support dynamic lighting, which it currently does not and will not in CM2 either. DL is fairly CPU intensive unless you have a graphics card capable of hardware T&L (transformation & lighting.). It would be an awesome addition to the game for night fighting but we are not likely to see it until they do the complete rewrite of the engine (CM4 at the earliest).

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

It would look nice, but I'd rather they (BTS) concentrated on things other than the "gee-wiz" special effects that don't add anything but eye candy. If the whole thing was CGA, but had great gameplay, I'd still buy it. Graphics are nice, but really don't add much. One thing that other game companies seem to forget.

:D

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: R_Leet ]

Combat zones were usually blacked out, in any event. It would neat for, say, the simulation of Commando-style operations or raids behind enemy lines. In most circumstances, however, light was simply not shown at nigh. I've driven military vehicles in black out conditions, and those blackout lamps they had don't give away nothin!