Would anyone find this sort of thing useful?...

Manx

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Manx,

I will say to you, what I have often said to many of the noble modmakers are here, who tirelessly slave away with little thanks for there work.

I am always happy to accept the hard work of others. I will often post messages like, "thank you!" or "you guys rock!", and things of that nature.

Now there are two reasons you should commence this project immediately

1) I think it would be neeto, and I would enjoy browsing the dossier at my leisure.

2) It requires no effort from me. I can sit here like a total louse, and reap the rewards of your efforts. Bravo!

smile.gif

Captain Foobar...but one of the things i would require to continue with this, is some input from "lazy, good-fer-nuthin's" like you! smile.gif

Seriously, to make it as useful as possible i would have to rely on people sending me their tactics and experiences with the units that i intend to cover, which will be, pretty much, every unit in the game.

Edit - Because i was too lazy to use the spell checker smile.gif

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 12-31-2000).]

Guest *Captain Foobar*

sheesh....

ok, give me a list of units, and I will scrounge up some light color-commentary on them....

not too many though... remember, I'm lazy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stic.man:

yeah this rocks!!

i still havent used all the units in the game and also i would love to see how others use units differently than me.

keep on!

"DO IT!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is precisely the reason why i think it would be a good idea to do...and since at least 4 people are interested, i will do it!.

The only problem i can see, is that at a basic level, tactically, how you use one tank is pretty much the same as how you would use any other. Obviously, each piece of armour as it's own characteristics, strength's and weaknesses and so on, so i'm sure i/you will be able to come up with enough info on how or not to use them in CMBO.

------------------

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Yours looks like a great site and contains what I had been looking for all along. Very nice, although I have to reduce my monitor resolution to read the text.

One question about Tiger's recent weathered Sherman mods - will they affect Marco Bergman's mods which are based on Tiger's earlier mods? Or does Marco have to redo his to take advantage of Tiger's new work?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Yours looks like a great site and contains what I had been looking for all along. Very nice, although I have to reduce my monitor resolution to read the text.

One question about Tiger's recent weathered Sherman mods - will they affect Marco Bergman's mods which are based on Tiger's earlier mods? Or does Marco have to redo his to take advantage of Tiger's new work?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks...Sorry about hurting your eye's!..I've seen Marco's Mods but i'm not sure what bmp's his mods alter. Tiger included the file numbers for his mods which i have listed on the site. The only thing you can do is, if you still have the original downloaded files, is to check the numbers and see if they clash.

------------------

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Wonderful idea, Manx.

I will definitely use it to explore different units that I fear using now because I don't understand them well enough to invest using them in a battle that may last a long time on PBEM. I think the CM game usage section is a particularly great idea. I like the historical unit info, but let's face it, we really want to know what will happen if we spend money on it in the game.

Here's an idea. Why not pick a different unit every few days that you can post on the CM forum with its own thread to solicit comments from the CM community. You could tell people that you are collecting CM usage info for posting on your unit description page.

That way you will smoke out folks from the whole forum who only want to comment on the unit at hand. It's also a good way to advertise on a regular basis that your website has this unique unit database as a resource.

This course of action will be much better than depending on Private Foooooobar, who I know from personal experience is an idle insult to working Americans everywhere. You'll have more success waiting for Godot than waiting for Foobar to get off his lazy butt and produce something useful smile.gif

BTW, Foobar, I'm still gunning for you and will ruin your California paradise as soon as I get time from WORKING (look it up in the dictionary since I'm sure the word "work" and its derivatives are strange to you).

------------------

Only the Lawyer knows what Evil lurks in the minds of men....

Manx....you da man!

This is a fantastic idea. Please keep us posted on your progress, and if Fooby gets too lazy, let me know, I might be able to help. smile.gif

Lawyer...thanks....the usage of particular units in CM is the whole point of what i am trying to do. The real-world data is just to give people some brief historical background info.

I like your idea about posting out to the forum...it could work and it would certainly make things easier for me. It needs the input of others...if it was just MY thoughts on the units then it would be a completely pointless excercise and with me having the tactical awareness of a snail, it would probably be completely wrong as well smile.gif

Okay then, as a 'test' to see what we can all come up with, let's pick a unit to cover. What would people like to see 1st??

p.s - any further thoughts on the Wespe??

------------------

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Regarding the Wespe, I would like to see a bit more detail on how to use it well in the game. So it remains a candidate for general forum posting to me.

As to other good candidates, I nominate the lesser-used units in infantry (the Germs have a bunch of units I haven't tried), the smaller AFV's like the Stuart, and especially some of the more exotic artillery types. I always use the 81mm cuz I know it works well. I could use some expanded awareness of the other types and how to use them.

You have a nice looking site, Manx. It seems perfect for this service that I don't believe anyone else is doing.

I guess the most appropriate place to post would be on the 'Tips & Techniques' board, but there may be alot of people who only ever visit the main forum or don't view the tips board very often.

Before i try and get this thing going, anybody else got any ideas on the best way to go about running this thing??.

------------------

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

It would be easy to add a screenshot of the in-game unit info panel with each units page, which i believe, is basically the sort of details that existing unit databases cover i.e - armour thickness/slope, ammo load-out, .cal, etc. etc.

I would like to try and keep away from facts and figures, as important as they are, and concentrate more on each units strength's and weaknesses within the game and how to use these units wisely. Add to this, anecdotes of players past experience's on how these units tend to fair in battle and you get away from purely seeing just rows and columns of numbers.

------------------

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lawyer:

Go main board, Manx. Many folks only visit there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you...only problem is that within an hour or two, messages tend to disappear into the void that is the back pages, although people can always send in stuff via the website, so it would be an on-going thing anyway, as indeed it should be.

------------------

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK