Another wargame company bites the dust?

Just read a rumor over on theblitz board that Talonsoft is terminating all projects, will all developers being let go. I guess wargame sales are hard on a mass marketed basis. All the more reason to support BTS.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Ack. Whats the url?

MrSpkr

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TheBlitz

Actually, there's a little more to it than just what is posted on that board, but I can't really say where the additional info came from. Hell, maybe its all false and the poster on the board just got the info from the same source i did.

Aww geez, that's too bad. Tlonsoft used to be the best there was. I still remember firing up East Front for the first time -- man, that's what wargaming was all about!

I wonder if anyone will pick up G.I. Combat... it looked like it might be pretty good (3D Close Combat basically)

Come on, news hounds, let's find out what's going on!

If it is true, I can't say that I'm 100% surprised. They basically abandonned their core market once they started doing the 3D shooters.

Very sorry to see them go though. I was always hoping they would return to their roots in a big way.

p.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peterk:

If it is true, I can't say that I'm 100% surprised. They basically abandonned their core market once they started doing the 3D shooters.

Very sorry to see them go though. I was always hoping they would return to their roots in a big way.

p.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they hold a special place in my heart as well. I was an avid Civil War buff when they came out with their titles. (studied theire Gettysburg map before making my own trip to those hallowed grounds). They were terrific games, but could have used the WEGO system as the pbem was fried by rampant cheating. (you could open up a game turn as many times as you wanted in order to get the outcome that most benefited your side).

At one time this was an incredibly vibrant community of CW buffs and grogs. Sorry to see them go.

:(

While it's a shame to see any game company go under, I have to say that Talonsoft have had this coming to them lately. From my time on the BB's there seems to have been a lot of bad feeling towards the company building for some time, because of it's poor recent releases and high handed attitute to customers. The final straw for most was the utterly dismal Age Of Sail 2.

Personally I can't recall a worthwhile release since the Battleground/East Front/T.O.A.W. days, they were great days for the company but perhaps they have paid the price for resting on their laurels and taking Joe Public for idiots ever since.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I wonder if anyone will pick up G.I. Combat... it looked like it might be pretty good (3D Close Combat basically)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get us started on the whole G.I. Combat thing. Some of us had a go around with the G.I. Combat Forum as it was filled with Close Combat fanatics. They had the audacity to call us the Church of CM. LOL!

Anyway, I'm kinda glad that the company is folding up. They apparently don't take too well to criticism. The answer criticism by deleting your posts.

BTW, did Hidden & Dangerous 2 ever come out or was that game cancelled too?