Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Effect of HE on armor

Armor-piercing shells are (by definition) made to tank out tanks, whereas HE deals with infantry. Yet I was wondering whether or not the concussive affects of a tank being hit directly be an HE shell (especially large calibre eg 95mm cromwell or IS2's) would be enough to kill or at least knock out the crew.

Similarly, I was wondering what a tanks default shell would be ie. what type of shell would be in the breach - AP or HE - and whether CM models the affect of having an HE shell loaded (say we've been shooting up infantry) and a tank comes along. What would happen - would CM model an HE shell being fired or an AP shell.

Just interested

PasssoP

HE can and did take out tanks by causing internal metal spalling or flaking which damaged internal fixtures and killed crew. After the war a special HE shell call HESH was even made to cause that effect on heavier armor.

In the game, HE can and does kill tanks, especially those with inferior armor, but is far from effective at the task. More likely, it causes a tank to be imobilized or to loose its main weapon if it does anything at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

Well if the HE is big enough to toss the tank in the air and drop it a block back, then I don't think you need to worry about the tank.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately there aren't any Sturmtigers in CMBO. 500 pound aircraft bombs could only flip Tigers, not toss them a block.

And regarding your other question, how CM models this: as far as I know in CM the tank/gun will shoot the appropriate kind of ammo, regardless of what they were shooting before. So your crew will always shoot AP at hard targets, unless they run out, and will always shoot HE at soft targets (they won't shoot at all at soft targets if they have only AP).

Bertram

I believe I've had some tanks shoot AP at infantry targets when that's all they've got left to sling.

Of course, it doesn't do anything. I don't know if it because I have lost track of the vehicle's ammo load out and I've drawn a targeting line-- but I know I've had to stop them from doing it after noticing the lack of nice explosions.

Ah, I had actually the reverse experience. An AT gun was down to the last 4 HE loads, and it refused to fire on infantry, even if I ordered them (probably thinking to safe those HE loads for the moment they were rushed or something).

The gun was happily blasting infantry (with HE) before this.

Bertram

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

I believe I've had some tanks shoot AP at infantry targets when that's all they've got left to sling.

Of course, it doesn't do anything. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AP rounds can and will kill infantry. Not nearly as effective of HE of course, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the replies guys, the reason I asked is because of the annoyance factor of having c Churchill VIII with 40+ rounds of HE and a 95mm gun unwilling to even fire at a measly markIV as it had run out of hollow charge ammo.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PasssoP27:

Thanks for the replies guys, the reason I asked is because of the annoyance factor of having c Churchill VIII with 40+ rounds of HE and a 95mm gun unwilling to even fire at a measly markIV as it had run out of hollow charge ammo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I dont think the AI ALWAYS uses the right shell. I had a Churchill 8 bounce shell after shell of HE off a Panzer mark IV. And refused to use his 3 Hollow shells. You would think after bouncing 1 shell, it would switch to the Hollow shell. Damn Panzer eventually damaged my gun. :(

The AI will sometime reserve its shells if it only has a snowballs chance in hell of making the shot. There are a dozen reasons why the Churchy may not have fired, including range, LOS, movement, and more pressing targets. You can usually force an attack, but in the most idiotic of situations, the tank will stop after a few (or no) shots.

Better bet is to retreat an exposed Chruchill 95 rather than try to get into a gun battle, and move it to a better vantage point.

Don't forget that there were a few dumb, shell-shocked or untrained tank gun loaders out there, I'm sure.

Whenever CM throws me a curve like that I figure I've dipped into the equivalent of the shallow end of the human gene pool and my digital troops are merely mimicking the original Sad Sack in action... :D