Several games at once

OK, I'm sure this is known already for ages...

but it was pretty new to me!

I had CM running, doing a QB against the AI when I recieved a PBEM turn. I hit "esc", then I accidently started CM again after saving the turn to the PBEM folder. Now I had two CMs running without problems.

I tried a third one, a forth one, no problem!

I could switch between 4 CM games using "esc" without problems. No sound cut-outs, no CTDs.

I'm impressed!

I was already so much used to play a PBEM turn, "alt-a", load another game, now I can play several Pbems at once!

And this after playing CM for 1 1/2 years ... :rolleyes:

Makes me think... how about...

1) Start up CM and open movie file #1

2) Start another CM and open movie file #2

3-i) Repeat with all movie files of a game

i+1) Play movie #1

i+2-2i) Hit esc or alt-q, watch the next movie, and so on

Result: you can watch the whole match *nearly* seamlessly. (If your computer can run over 20 battles at the same time, that is...)

This continuous movie thing is an interesting idea. You could even set up the same point of view ahead of time (or lock to the same unit) on all the movie beginnings for extra continuity. Even with CM Movie I find myself losing a little momentum trying to find the right spot to watch from.

I would love to see some test results from different systems to see if speed or RAM makes a big difference in how successful it would be...

(I'm too lazy)

OK, I just did a test to find out more about the possibility of replaying a whole battle.

I loaded 20 (!) CMs, loaded one turn of a 20 turn 1000 points QB attack into each and watched!

I started with game 1, turn 1 and worked though to game 20, turn 20. Although it's a cumbersome way to start all those games, it shows that it CAN be done.

Interesting: even with 20 CMs running I didn't get graphics stutter or even slowdowns!

I got a AMD 800Mhz with 448 MB RAM and a Geforce2 MX.

I hereby apply for the

most useless test of the month :D

Here is the 1st vote for the most useless test of the month.

I also had 20 CM running with small battles (just to see if it would work).

Specs Pentium 4 1.4 Ghz, 512 MB Ram, Voodoo 5500 AGP.

Also tried it on my second PC

specs Pentium 3 877 Mhz, 320 MB Ram, Voodoo 5500 AGP

Hm, does somebody know what's the mmaximum number of CM games you an run at the same time? I think it depends on your RAM, anyone managed to crash CM that way?

I just did a test with 25 games running at the same time, still no problems.

And I still apply for the most useless test of the month award!

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]</p>