Grossdeutschland has Arrived!

A book I have been searching long and hard for has finally come into my possession: "History of PanzerKorps Grossdeutschland" by Helmuth Spaeter. This rare and expensive book ($150 for the set of three!) is the be-all and end-all of information on this reknowned German formation.

Over the years my attention has been drawn time and again to this most courageous and battle-tried unit. It seems whenever I was reading of an account on the Eastern Front, GD would turn up at the decisive moment They crossed the Bug, fought at Bialystock, Slonim, Minsk and outside Smolensk. They stormed Kharkov, then turned upwards towards Bryansk, before coming as close to Moscow as any German unit ever got. They were under the care of Guderian for the first year.

After wintering at the gates of Moscow, they spent 1942 (a bloody year) as far south as the Donetz basin with 6th Army, before travelling as far north as Rhzev.

In 1943 GD was an instrumental unit in the battle of Kursk, having one of the only Tank battalions made up entirely of Tigers. Finally, they held the rear areas secure on the long and hard retreat to the Dnepr, then the next year to the Vistula.

As the Third Reich crumbled, they held their own with stamina and courage, finally being practically destoryed on the Friche peninsulaat the beginning of April, 1945. Only 800 men, remnants of the Panzerkorps were ferried from that peninsula.

Uh... anyway, this completes a set of books I have on the GD, and as I read this complet work, I will be making extensive notes for future scenarios! I can hardly wait for CMBB.

It is my (somewhat laconic) intention to create a series of vignettes or mini-campaigns dealing with the actions of GD, and these resources will help to make these battles as historically accurate as possible. So far, the most difficult part is discovering the specifics of their opponents, but the many Soviet web-sites I have found are helping.

If anyone would like to contribute to this endeavor, feel free to share your thoughts, info, pictures, anything. I'd like it to be a community affair. Of special interest to me would be those who have a knowledge of SPECIFIC socviet units, their TO&E and OOB's of battles that would apply to this GD work.

I would also be interested in anyone who has ideas on how best to turn this into a true campaign game, preferably one where players can play on both sides. This will be difficult, as GD did not always fight the same Soviet units, but there must be some way to do so while not COMPLETELY doing away with the historical aspect. Anyone with an interest in campaign games and the details of making it work should contact me.

Oh, by the way, it will be a while before CMBB is out, and I still have a few thousand pages to read, study, and decipher before this thing takes shape, so no hurries! After all, I can't start desinging scenarios before the game is out! Okay, a few, but just for practice...

We need to talk.

Sounds like a natural for my GD site - or were you planning on hosting yourself?

I also put together a rudimentary campaign game, but would be interested in working with you on somethign approaching a true campaign game.

I also have the histories by Squadron-Signal as well as the pictorial history by Spaeter and a short history by Lucas. Some good maps in there if nothing else.

madorosh@home.com

Yeah Mike, I have the Squadron/Signal -- great pictures! though short on tactical information. I was curious about Lucas' book - as Fedorowicz says it is an excellent companion to Spaeter's. I would like to get Spaeter's photo book too - as soon as my wife lets me! I am also bidding on Vangaurd's 1977 publication "Panzergrenadier Division Grossdeutschland" though it is most likely nothing more than a pictorial.

Email me. I have read through your campaign rules a while back and they seemed to be pretty good, though somewhat confusing (I might just be dumb though :D ).

As far as hosting goes, I definitely want a web-site for this; and would like to also have a repository of battle reports, photos, and maybe even a few maps (or CM - ified maps), but haven't yet decided what route to take.

Congrats on getting those books Panzer Leader. I am looking forward to scenarios you make.

I myself have no books on the GD but one book called"Forgotten sodier" is a bout a soldier that served with the GD from 43 and on. But this books is far from what you're looking for.

Forgotten Soldier, has almost no data on composition of forces and even some places and wepaons the author mentions make no sense. But, it was 60 years ago so, no wonder. The book is basicly an autobiogrpahy not a recourse book.

Anyway Good luck with the scenarios and research.

I myself am going to do a scenario pack and waht not, based on a book called "In Deadly Combat, by Gottlob Bidermann" He served in the 132nd division through the war, should be interesting too.

Good luck!

Hi Panzer Leader..in regards to the Vanguard GD book.....its worth while if you are a collector of those books in the series...it gives general understanding of what the GD was , were it was employed and what it was equipped with at those times.

It also describes the GD Pz Korps with a run down on its components and where they fought.

On the whole i suspect you woud be disappointed with it after that "TOME" you just bought.

I picked up my copy of the Vanguard GD book a few years back for about £4 at a Military Model show.

Regards

Måkjager