Best/worst battle against the AI

OK, I know everyone trashes the AI in QBs.

But sometimes, nobody knows how and why, the AI strikes back. Did that ever happen to you? Arty strikes that hammer your troops with godlike precision, Shermans using laser range finders and thermal sights when knocking out your Tigers?

:confused:

Perhaps we do sometimes get too confident... Anyway, what were your best/worst results in a QB against the AI?

My best: AI lost 380 men, 12 vehicles, 3 guns and a bunch of mortars.

My losses were 2 guns and 16 men.

My worst:I lost 2 Stugs, 2 Tigers and some halftracks and 150 men, the AI lost 1 Sherman and 60 men.

Still don't know what happened in THAT game...

For my best game against the AI (recent), see this. Liberal use of mines, TRP's, and FO's.

large_victory_margin_ai.jpg

For my worst... the thing faked me out with a frontal charge, suddenly swinging left and steamrolling re-positioning troops. Don't remember the score. Don't want to.

Someone (Berli?) got a perfect game against a human many moons ago in the demo Chance Encounter.

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: aaronb ]

[ 04-26-2001: Message edited by: aaronb ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ParaBellum:

OK, I know everyone trashes the AI in QBs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must move in exalted circles.

Last month I played a couple of attack QBs, trying to get the hang of a combined arms attack with troops in HTs, artillery and tank overwatch. I won one, got one minor victory and drew twice. In the minor victory there was no question of my exploiting with the tiny battered force I had left.

I think that I don't do this well, but also the AI defends extremely competently and places its AT guns very well indeed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...and places its AT guns very well indeed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah! I've noticed that too! The AI always seems to find a few little widely spread out patches of trees were it hides it's guns. Therefore they have a very deadly habit of catching you off guard.

After playing a few scenarios and losing more Shermans than you can shake a stick at to these guns, I decided to start buying more small arty in attack QBs just to rain death on every patch of trees I see!!!!!!!!

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: Guy w/gun ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aaronb:

Someone (Berli?) got a perfect game against a human many moons ago in the demo Chance Encounter.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aaron,

I think the person you are referring to is Bil (forgot his last name). IIRC, he got the win before the reinforcements arrived.

Ironically, his next game was with Fionn in the sunken lane. Talk about two extremes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

Yeah! I've noticed that too! The AI always seems to find a few little widely spread out patches of trees were it hides it's guns. Therefore they have a very deadly habit of catching you off guard.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. The AI has stupid habit of opening up a little early sometimes, but at higher experience levels, that seems to moderate a bit.

Also I think it places the AT guns so cleverly because it runs an AT gun placing algorithm as part of setup, and finds the scientifically best place to hide the gun.

Ive snooped around a great many post battle maps and only seen a couple occasions where the AI did a bad job setting up AT guns. It seems to do very nicely at reverse slope defenses as well...

But on the attack, well, not so great.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

But on the attack, well, not so great.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As an AI only player, I really wish the AI did attack better. I really never got how bad it was at this until I accidently surrendered mid-battle once.

I was the defending axis. The stupid AI had separated almost all of its HQs from thier platoons! The HQs were about 350 meters back from the front line! No wonder the AI is so prone to break when not defending. They're all out of command control!

well, since 1.12, the AI is def better on the attack (this is a reason to use 1.12, even if there is the smoke bug and the invulnerability of the various german SdKfz)

In "The 21. Panzer attacks" campaign I only was able to get a draw (as the germans).

If there is only one reason to use 1.12, it is the better attack ability of the AI.

Fred