Code degradation?

Lately I've been getting the DING and game-freeze after every orders and movie phase in PBEM games. One of the games is vs. Rick Brown, and we've played a couple of games already without any such problems, so I'm wondering if the CM code might be breaking down or something. Is this even possible?

Additionally, I am playing vs. Father of 4, and just had the bug that caused the game to move (for me) from turn 8's movies right into turn 9's movies. Our file exchange proceeded thus:

I gave orders for 7, which created a movie.

He watched 7's movie, then I did and gave orders for 8.

He gave orders for 8, which created a movie. I watched it and sent it to him.

I thought he'd be watching the movie for 8, then giving orders for 9 and sending me the file so I could too.

He sent a new file which I was expecting would prompt me for my orders for 9. But when I loaded it, it was the start of the movie for 9.

Needless to say, not being able to give any orders had a negative impact on the movie.

Has this been happening to others with any frequency? What do you do to fix it?

DjB

I have noticed this PBEM problem. Someone told me this bug have been noticed (and resolved?).

It seems to occur only if you save the file during the turn you are giving your orders. I think that the best thing to do is playing you turn without saving.

Sometime my game freezes too but I don't know why. I these cases I must restart my computer to play again...

I think I know what happened in our case

DjB. I had restarted the orders phase from a saved file. Granted it is a bug and needs to be corrected but I'm pretty sure this was the cause. I've done it before with no problems but I guess we got bit this time. I've already sent you the turn back but I posted this for everyone else's info.

fo4

"A St. Louis resident finally on the Rams bandwagon" wink.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, this bug was found fairly soon fater the demo was released and was squashed. Doug, sounds like you had a streak of bad luck.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I get the ding a LOT......that's the reason I can't finish all these PBEM games!! I hate that!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have your opponent resend the file. That usually clears it up for me. One thing I've noticed, the "ding" bug seems to only occur when Netscape mail is used.

Doug,

It's your opponent here. I get that bug crop up several times in a row and then it disappears for a good long while. Occasionally, it comes with an invalid page fault in Dhelp, message. Everytime that happens all sound disappears until I reboot the computer.

Like I said though, I get very long periods of time where everything works Ok. Go figure. confused.gif

I'm very glad this bug is squashed.

BTW Doug, I already know what I am going to write for a conclusion in our AARs; "cover and concealment are of utmost importance." biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 01-17-2000).]