Vive La Canada!

How are counterys souch as canada for an example who had #!$*%*& horrobal (very poor) wepones, but were noutoriesly fierce fighters modeled in the game. Vive La Canada! My

De Gaul imatation. (Just kidding).

------------------

A 2x4 and a kind word work better than just a 2x4

I don't know, is it just me. But here we have two people named Robert, robertpat1 and Rob/1, both from Canada, one from Langley, B.C. and one from Toronto, Ont. who can't spell?

Co-incidence?? I think not!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

Robertpat,

I wouldn't say it was necessarily that their weapons were bad. The sometimes poor showing of the Canadians can be traced more towards poor leadership.

A fascinating read for any Canadian (and others too) is John English's "Failure in High Command:The Canadian Army and the Normandy Campaign"

Chris

I think Robert is referring to World War One where the Canadians were stuck for the first few years with Ross Rifles. An excelent hunting gun, but, once you get it even remotely near dirt it jams. It took a lot of time before the Canadians got (begged borrowed and stole!) Lee Enfield guns, which were in use from WWI to WWII. Lee Enfield rifles were very reliable, althouth they lacked the rate of fire as an M1.

I was referring to both WW1 and WW2. At least during the Italian Campaign the Canadian armies were plagued by faulty or worn out equipment. I don't know if this was true for Normandy or not.

P.S. I don't know who the other Rob's/Robert's are.

------------------

BTW it's "Vive le Canada", Canada is male (don't ask me why). France is female, and the U.S., well the U.S. is just the U.S. (plural, no gender).

smile.gif

I don't know about the quality of their equipment, but it seems to me Canadians were used as cannon fodder when nobody else wanted to do something (e.g. Invasion of Normandy in 1942).

I heard that they did gain a reputation for being hardy, though.

Originally posted by robertpat1:

I was referring to both WW1 and WW2. At least during the Italian Campaign the Canadian armies were plagued by faulty or worn out equipment. I don't know if this was true for Normandy or not.

Many Allied units in the Italian campaign suffered from worn equipment by virtue of being at the end of the supply line as the stockpiling for Overlord came into effect. The Canadians were no worse off than the British or Americans in Italy.

Thanks for the anser tailz. By the way patboivin I was referring to De Gaul when he spoke to a Quebec crowed on a state visit. His immortal words were, "Vive La Quebec, Vive La Quebec Libra". Hopefully I got the spelling right. It means, "Long live Quebec, long live liberated Quebec". By the way can you have the allies fight each outher i.e. free French and Canucks?

------------------

[This message has been edited by robertpat1 (edited 06-22-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robertpat1:

By the way patboivin I was referring to De Gaul when he spoke to a Quebec crowed on a state visit. His immortal words were, "Vive La Quebec, Vive La Quebec Libra". Hopefully I got the spelling right.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK.

That's where as a French I must step into that spelling contest.

The guy you're refering to is our most REVERED Charles de Gaulle.

He said: "Vive le Quebec libre!"

In case you've studied the guy, he said things like that to that effect to French colonials in North Africa (Not about Quebec mind you biggrin.gif) and he sold them out.

Beware of French Presidents looking for "Famous Last Quotes"...

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

Yeah, it's "Vive le Québec libre." Not the brightest thing to say, and am French Canadian.

I wouldn't want to be a politician, every little thing you blurt out can be a potential weapon for some other group. Better to just shut up I think.

de Gaulle did say some foolish things, but in other ways he was OK my parents tell me (although I don't remember WHAT he did right, something about him predicting the next twenty years after the war or something to that effect).

It doesn't matter now.

I just want my copy of CM!! Do you think they held it at the border? mad.gif