Unit info screen while purchasing? Please?

All these wacky units to choose from, and so little knowledge

of their capabilities. After a week of gaming, I'm starting to

know most of them. But I'd still be happy if I coul just select

"unit info" when making the decisions.

I've been desperately trying to find a good german vechile

to use against infantry. In the process I've been losing

a whole lot of them, mostly to grenade launchers.

What was it with germans making everything open-topped! frown.gif

So far I've found Tiger to be excellent, but a bit costly. rolleyes.gif

All stug variants have too little ammo. Really teaches me to

appreciate how well Sherman fills it's intended role.

I second the motion for unit info on the purchase screen. Beleive it or not, there are some people out there who do not have innate knowledge of the differences between the 47 Sherman varients. It is currently unduly difficult to make intelligent unit purchase decisions.

Also, there are times when it would be nice to have access to esoteric info during the purchase phase. For instance, in a scenario with rain or snow, it makes sense to purchase AVFs with low ground pressure ratings to minimize the chance of bogging down. I doubt that even the most hardened grog knows those figures by heart.

[This message has been edited by bazooka10165 (edited 07-14-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

I almost posted about this the other day but I had reached my 'grumbling limit' for the day.

The unit info Dick speak of above is nice but it is no where near the amount of data conveyed by the in game info screen.

But, I am not sure this would be an easy thing to add. The in game info screen runs IN GAME. That may be a big difference from running this same screen in the editor.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

But, I am not sure this would be an easy thing to add. The in game info screen runs IN GAME. That may be a big difference from running this same screen in the editor.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then maybe the same info on ANOTHER screen? smile.gif

--

..that's when everybody noticed he knows nothing about programming

You can be rest assured that a complete unit database is being worked on (by me, at least)

When (if) I get it done is another question.

I already have complete point cost charts for the Americans and British (available if anyone wants them) and after I finish the point cost, I will tackle unit info.

Jason

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I guess I should just buy something like "Tanks of WWII". Anyone know a good book like that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately no, it's the only one I know of, but that little book's the best $8 I ever spent smile.gif. I'd love to see a "Useful Vehicles That Weren't Tanks" follow-up! (FWIW, I did splurge for Jentz's two-volume hardback set Panzer Truppen, which is much {much, much} more thorough for the Germans, but if I had to spend that kind of tender for every nation, I wouldn't be able to pay my power bill, much less have a computer to run CM on wink.gif). Sometimes a cheap, quick overview is great!

Wendell

P.S. It just occurred to me that you might be using "Tanks of WWII" in a generic sense, rather than as the actual title of the 1995 Collins/Jane's diminutive paperback. In which case (for a starter English reference), I recommend the 1995 Collins/Jane's paperback, Tanks of World War II smile.gif (you saw that one coming, right?). It doesn't have all the variants of a given tank, but is a good, cheap introduction to the major types on all sides, and at $8 you can't go wrong.

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 07-15-2000).]

You might want to take a look at "Encyclopedia of German tanks of World War Two" by Peter Chamberlain.

ISBN 1-85409-518-8. Basic facts about (I think) every German armoured vehicle and their different versions. It also deals with captured vehicles used by the Germans.

Allied vehicles..? Sorry, not my cup of tea...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WendellM:

P.S. It just occurred to me that you might be using "Tanks of WWII" in a generic sense, rather than as the actual title of the 1995 Collins/Jane's diminutive paperback. In which case (for a starter English reference), I recommend the 1995 Collins/Jane's paperback, Tanks of World War II<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had no idea there really was a book with that name biggrin.gif

I'll see if I can find it.

One decent reference for a quick overview is "The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II" (Cris Bishop Editor) ISBN 0-7607-1022-8. 550 pages, many pictures & drawings.

I picked it up at Barnes & Nobles (in Philadelphia) on their Summer Discount clearance shelf for a total price of $6.50. Well worth it.

--Philistine

Jarmo,

Philistine's recommendation sounds better than mine: I plan to pick it up myself smile.gif. At $25 (regular price) it covers many weapon systems in addition to tanks (including small arms, warplanes, artillery, ships, and submarines) and seems highly regarded (4-star ratings, though it's mentioned that some important equipment is missing).

In the event you still want the little $8 ($10 retail) tank book I mentioned (255 small pages, a bit less than 8.5 cm x 12 cm) its ISBN is 0004722825.

BTW, thanks, Philistine!

Wendell

Wendell, Philistine

Thank's for suggestions. I guess I'll by either one,

if I find it. Not every book ends up in this far corner

of the world, where incomprehensible languege is muttered.

I could web-order, but I don't think I will.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

I've been desperately trying to find a good german vechile

to use against infantry. In the process I've been losing

a whole lot of them, mostly to grenade launchers.

What was it with germans making everything open-topped! frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're still having trouble with infantry try the StuH42, that's what it was made for. German open topped vehicles were never intended to get that close to infantry.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Dog:

If you're still having trouble with infantry try the StuH42<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tried it, it's good while the ammo lasts, but the

ammo doesn't last that long. Especially with the MG.