MG42 Sounds Accurate?

Guest Offwhite

I think BTS said a while back that the MG42 sound is accurate, though the audio file is actually an M1919 recording that they did some sound editing on.

Haven't played CC so I can't speak to the comparison though.

Actually, I find the MG-42 sounds in CM the most accurate in any wargame that I've played to date.

My understanding of the current MG-3 which the Germans use, is that it is a very close if not identical copy of the original MG-42 (perhaps our friends in the German Army can help).

Anyhow, the German Army had a training detachment which (until recently) trained at Canadian Forces Base Shilo in Manitoba, Canada. They brought in their Leopard IIs and III's as well as Marders, M109s etc. etc.

I have been on the range (trainng area) many times when the Germans were also on excersise firing a variety of their weapons - live of course. I saw, what I initially thought was an MG-42 (until someone corrected me - I was kinda "new" back then) pumping bullets downrange. It made a very distinctive sound.

So, to finally get to my point, the sound that this MG made is quite simillar to what I have heard in CM.

------------------

"Hosti Acie Nominati"

RZM imports used to have a 15 second live fireing video of the 42.i just looked but its gone now from what i rember it sounded close to whats on the CM game .i think the best way to hear what a real mg sounds like would be get to a re enacting event many have real mg 42 and fire blanks .just a idea

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Andorski,

I'm not sure why you think the MG42 sound in CM doesn't sound unique. It certainly does to me. Very unique in fact.

I fired an MG2 last summer. This is a sligthly modified WWII MG42 that was used before the MG3 was developed. It sounded similar to what we have in CM, but then again at 50 cents a shot I didn't shoot all that much or all that fast smile.gif

We have a video of a real MG42 being fired by a reinactment group. This is what we based CM's sound on. The sound is like "ripping paper" as opposed to the "thud, thud, thud" of a normal MG. And that is what CM does smile.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Little Black Devil:

Anyhow, the German Army had a training detachment which (until recently) trained at Canadian Forces Base Shilo in Manitoba, Canada. They brought in their Leopard IIs and III's as well as Marders, M109s etc. etc.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A friend of mine said that at one point, there were more German tanks in Canada than Canadian tanks. Is that true?

Patboivin;

Yes, I believe thats true. The whole of Canada's Armed Forces is less than 100,000. That includes Army, AirForce and the Navy. So, working with that number its easy to imagine that Canada's Armoured Corps isn't to big.

I regularly see the Germans compound where they store row upon row upon row of their Tanks, AFVS, Jeeps, Ambulances and canoes (don't ask me what they have those for, my guess is adventure training). They shipped most of this equiptment to Canada every year to run a fresh batch of troops through their training cycle. Since the German Army did away with conscription, the numbers have noticeably dropped off, and now they are in the process of shutting down and moving out of CFB Shilo.

Anyhow, I too was told that the Germans had more tanks in that compound duting their summer training cycle than Canada had all together. As for specific numbers, .....you got me. smile.gif

------------------

"Hosti Acie Nominati"

The MG42 sound in CM is a good approximation. It certainly conveys the famed "ripping canvas" sound.

In CC1 and 2 (perhaps CC3 as well) the MG42 sound in the game was wrong, but they had it correct in the help files that came on the CD. Aftermuch comment they changed the sound for CC4. Some folks commented that the correct sound was "like a fart" and therefore "uncool." There was a movement to use the sound from SPR which was incorrect. Those folks liked the SPR sound better and the accuracy of it was immaterial to them.

The MG42 sound on the RZM page shows the real gun, but it is firing blanks which prevent the gun from cycling at the normal rate because it doesn't produce enough recoil (it is a recoil operated weapon). The clues to this are the low ROF, lack of muzzle flash and the fact that the camera is positioned in front of the gun.

I've fired the MG3 which is basically an MG42 converted to take 7.62mm NATO instead of 7.92mm Mauser. The ROF is a little lower than the MG42 but you still get the ripping sound.

There are several ex-Bundeswehr types around here who can attest to the same thing.

edit starts here:

From the SSI board where someone posted about the RZM MG42 live fire:

------

I too was a little curious about the authenticity of "Live fire". So I took my question to the source. Remy at RZM was quick with a response, which speaks well for the company. Here's what he had to say:

"First let me clarify that there are no blanks being fired. You are watching LIVE AMMO being fired through those weapons. Yes the MG-42 is firing at a slower rate then normal. This was done deliberately to show the viewer how the gun sound when firing in shorter bursts. Plus we didn't want to burn out the barrel!

We shot each scene using a professional 16mm sync sound film camera. The History Channel shot their program using a video camera which gives a totally modern look to the picture. All the Waffen-SS uniforms and equipment are 100% original from the war. We hope to have the tape edited and ready for sale this fall. Keep checking the site for new clips of the STG-44 and MG-34."

-------

I am still wondering why there is no muzzle flash if it was real ammo.

[This message has been edited by RMC (edited 06-30-2000).]

Well,

Having fired a few thousand rounds with the MG-3 both from my Leopard II, dismounted from Bipod or Tripod I can assure you that the sound in CM is absolutely realistic.

The difference between the MG-42 and the MG-3 is basically twofold. They changed the caliber to NATO standard 7,62*51 and they changed the ROF. The reduction of ROF might have a slight minor influence on the weapon sound, but most certainly this is neglectable. (of course IMO, because I haven´t heard the original MG42 firing a few hundreds of 7,92 ammo)

However the charakteristic "Brrrrrrtttt, Brrrrrrrrt" is there, that´s what counts for me.

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

I've shot several thousand rounds with the MG42 in the Norwegian Army and I must agree that the weapon sounds very distinctive indeed. Now I haven't heard the sound in the game but if Steve says it's like ripping paper I must agree. In most weapons you can feel the bolt with each round fired that's what I was missing in the MG3 (7.62mm rifles that is).

I've never fired an MG-42 but have read repeatedly about the "ripping" sound and the high ROF. I DLed the sound mods from MadDog the other day and had to replace the MG-42 sound back to the original CM. The one in the mod sounds very much like that from the movie SPR...which was in fact incorrect. I'm going with the original CM MG-42 wav for accuracy and atmosphere.

Out here....

------------------

When the situation is obscure....attack!

CGen. Heinz Guderian

I thought "burp guns" were MP40's? Guess I was mistaken?

I alternately love and fear the current MG42 sound, depending on which side I'm playing! It's a great and distinct sound that is a great contrast to the .50 cal steady beat.

Dar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dar:

I thought "burp guns" were MP40's? Guess I was mistaken?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you are correct. The sound of an MP40 was just as distinctive as that of an MG42.

Just as the M3A1 was known as the "grease gun" because of it's resemblance to an automotive servicing tool.