Any Problems upgrading to Windows ME?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Merchant:

All the reviews I read of ME said that it runs 3d games about the same or slower than 98 SE, but takes up heaps of extra HD space.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets see: the possibility of slower performance and the certainty of less HD space. I'm damned if I can figure out what the advantage is in going to ME.

------------------

"Arms are my ornaments, warfare my repose." - Don Quixote

The consensus is forming. I have been using it for 2 or 3 months now. It "seems" a little bit more stable, but sure does take up HD space. Worth the upgrade? Hmmm. I don't know. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would not have done it. But I deleted all the uninstall info, so now I can't just go back to 98SE. That recovery file was like 300+MB.

What I want to know is if I should go for Win2K. Is it faster? It is certainly smaller HD wise I am sure? But what are the problems it faces running games? Are the problems solvable (with proper drivers, etc.) or will the platform just not allow certain games to run?

We use ME at home and the office, and we've been very satisfied. We run every game known to man on our ME boxes and overall it's as fast and more stable than 98, in our experience (at Computer Games Magazine and Computer Games Online). Hard drive space isn't an issue because the smallest drives we use are 30GB, but I realize that could well be an issue for some folks.

The biggest thing we like about ME is that it's simply more convenient. The built-in support for zipped files, reorganized file display/folder system, and general stability are plusses.

For those of you who are either having problems with ME size wise, and would like to reduce the bloat, and who are also reasonably 'puter literate....checkout http://www.98lite.net

I've been using it for over 12 months with win98 and it improves stability and performance, and removes all those stupid, stupid apps that ms think you really must have running all the time.

Do not consider an upgrade to Win2000 lightly. The OS is quite, quite different from the Win 9xs line. Yeah, its more stable. But it ain't nearly as supported. And do you understand the active directory?

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

I have winme running on my home machine (Dell) and it runs fine with CM. In fact, CM runs smooth as silk (even with TNT2 Card). I run Win2K Pro at work though and have become spoiled by it. It's really stable, in fact I haven't rebooted this thing in months (it's a notebook and I go into hibernate or suspend modes at least once or twice a day). There are plenty of benefits for running win2k, but if you want to play tons of games, you're better off with winme. You only need to plan for Active Directory, if you're planning to migrate to Win2K SERVER, a non issue for home users...Look for Whistler down the road.

------------------

If all men are brothers, like the seas throughout the world; So why do winds and waves clash so fiercely?"

- Emperor Hirohito (1940)

Personally I'm waiting for Whistler to come out the latter half of this year. Its supposed to be the truly next O/S generation replacement for Win95/98.Hopefully MS will come up with a better name. (Windows 2001?)

The Pentium IV chip is designed to run it. Intel pushed the PIV out sooner that it had planned. The PIV was supposed to be a .13 micron chip not the .18 micron chip it is now. AMD forced Intel to move quicker. Windows ME is just a modified upgrade of Win98. Kinda like a Win98.3 version.

Whistler supposedly will require the new PIV 64 bit chip to run it. Whistler is to be a 64 bit system according to MS. I havent tested an alpha version yet so I dont know for sure. I hear the ones who are testing it says it really has some great potential. We'll see once MS releases it. Meanwhile I'll stick with Win98 for my gaming machine. I will upgrade my NT 4 workstation to Windows 2000 server though. Probably no later than this summer.

I've always felt its better to do a complete clean install of a new O/S as opposed to a upgrade. I have found fewer problems going with a complete new install. Going the upgrade route is a 50-50 chance if you look at all the posts people leave about it. I'd rather spend the extra bucks and have fewer hassles but thats just me. I do plan on buying a new laptop this year. Hopefully this quarter. I will get the laptop with Windows ME loaded on it.

As far as the great debate to wether or not to upgrade to Windows ME or not depends on your needs. According to all the so called experts if you just want to serf the net and play computer games stick with Windows 98. Also if you didnt know.. half the new items available on ME are readily available to Win98 users for free. Just go to MS's website and look under the download section. I'm not sure what is all available but I heard half of the new stuff is there and for free. Supposedly it was the items released in the ME beta tests and are fully and properly functional.

~Skott Karlsson~